• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Adding honey to brews

Barrel Char Wood Products

TimT

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2013
For a while I'd thought there was really only two ways to add honey to beer - chuck it in when you boil the wort and stir to dissolve, or make a honey-water solution and add it to the beer when the fermentation is at its peak.

Now just two days ago I read in Randy Mosher of another way.... add the honey at secondary fermentation as a way of retaining more of the honey character - ie, delicate fragrances, aromas, etc that might get lost in the primary fermentation or the boil.

By Jove, I think he's right! And I'd like to try this. Only.... I suspect this might be more dangerous and unpredictable than the first two ways, because the yeast will have already adapted for one type of sugar, and been working for a while, and be exhausted by the amount of alcohol already in the beer. It's often said honey takes ages to ferment (indeed, I said that myself when giving a presentation on honey brewing recently at my bee group). I suspect this would be *very* true if you add the honey to the beer this late, at secondary fermentation.

Has anyone tried this?

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Honey is considered a simple sugar in the context of beer wort (read nutrient rich). As a result, many people add honey is secondary to prevent the yeast from "getting lazy " and going for simple sugar instead of the more complex malt sugars.

Also, many folks trying to push ABV tolerance in beer will add 1 oz of sugar or honey a day to constantly give the yeast a sugar boost to push through. This would be during primary fermentation usually, but it can be done in secondary if your yeast aren't spent.

Better brewing through science!

TimT

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2013
It kind of makes sense - like adding fruit or adjuncts in the secondary, which is also common practice.

A lot depends what you mean by "simple", of course. Yeast will ferment malt sugars pretty rapidly; honey can take much longer.

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
A lot depends what you mean by "simple", of course. Yeast will ferment malt sugars pretty rapidly; honey can take much longer.
That's why honey takes longer to ferment on it's own is because it is a simple sugar and doesn't have all the other nutrients yeast needs to flourish like a beer wort would.

TimT

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2013
But also some of the sugars in honey just give the yeast problems. As I read it the yeast gobbles up the sucrose and glucose but take ages on the fructose - which is one reason why you can ferment some wines out within weeks on simple cooking sugar but you have to take more time and patience with mead.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
I've always added honey during secondary, just straight in without heating or boiling. Gently mix it up so not to aerate the wort too much, I figure a little bit isn't a problem as I'm kicking up the yeast activity and they will clean up the O2 quickly.

I've never had a problem with it. This is also how I go about making my braggots. I start the grain wort fermenting, then when it slows/stops I add the honey to help preserve the honey flavours and aromas quite nicely.

And of course I also use honey to prime my beverages when I want them carbonated. No heating there either, just measure it out and dump it in and mix it up... No problems here either.

Cheers!
-- Steve

bathtub brewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
I have used honey in beer making. I usually add the honey in prior to fermentation. After boiling the wort but while it is still hot. Mostly because I thought it needed to be pasteurized.
I made a delicious honey pecan beer a while back.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
But also some of the sugars in honey just give the yeast problems. As I read it the yeast gobbles up the sucrose and glucose but take ages on the fructose - which is one reason why you can ferment some wines out within weeks on simple cooking sugar but you have to take more time and patience with mead.

Sucrose is a disaccharide consisting of glucose-fructose bonded pairs. And yeast LOVE fructose, that is the main sugar in most fruit. here is a quote I found:

"Natural Sugars Found in Apples. All fruit contains a variety of naturalsugars in different proportions and ratios. Fructose -- also called fruit sugar -- is the most prevalent, although some sucrose and glucose are typically present, especially in sweeter fruits"

I forget the order but most yeast go for the glucose, fructose, first, and leave things like lactose alone.

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns