• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ancient Orange, Clove, and Cinnamon Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

MrK

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 20, 2005
I got Mead-evil on a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead last evening. Things seem to be bubblin' and gurglin' just fine but who really knows......... this is my first attempt at producing a "tasty beverage." I guesswd at amount of honey and missed the mark [upon wieghing partially empty package at work today] by about 7 ounces of honey......... I need to add that amount more. Question...... can I add tonight when I top up carboy to proper level? Attached picture is of carboy about an hour after starting, today it is getting lighter in color. I'm looking forward to starting a few more "batches" over the next few weeks, as I'm currentely scrouging for fixin's and have a few more carboys in route.

I'm looking forward to learning and making a few new cyber-buddies in the coming months.
;D Steve
aom7-19-05.jpg

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Neither, LOL

He's in the newbie area, and he's new to brewing! Looks like the right place to me.

cheers,

Oskaar

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
MrK said:
I got Mead-evil on a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead last evening. Things seem to be bubblin' and gurglin' just fine but who really knows......... this is my first attempt at producing a "tasty beverage." I guesswd at amount of honey and missed the mark [upon wieghing partially empty package at work today] by about 7 ounces of honey......... I need to add that amount more. Question...... can I add tonight when I top up carboy to proper level? Attached picture is of carboy about an hour after starting, today it is getting lighter in color. I'm looking forward to starting a few more "batches" over the next few weeks, as I'm currentely scrouging for fixin's and have a few more carboys in route.

I'm looking forward to learning and making a few new cyber-buddies in the coming months.
;D Steve

That will be fine Steve. Add it slowly so as not to get a volcano.
Joe

MrK

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 20, 2005
Thanks for the welcome......... added the rest and did get an eruption. Everything is still gurglin' just fine and smells mighty fine. Took my left overs from first batch and started a 1/2 gallon in a apple juice bottle....... threw in a couple handfuls of blackberries and it is happily gurglin' also now. So far .......... so good!

cooknbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 10, 2008
Sorry, I just saw that this is the place for newbie JAO ?'s....

Hi Folks,

I am a long time brewer of beer, and a lesser time maker of wines. Since yesterday, I am a meader!

I started off with JAO, and even tho I was warned many, many times, I just had to make 1 tiny alteration to the recipe. (blame it on Papazian)
- I added 2 1/2 grams of yeast extract (dead kind, for nutrients)

Any thoughts on what this might do to the batch, aside from having better nourished yeasties?

Thanks,
Cooknbrew

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns