• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Avatars are back (well, sort of)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
hart1a.jpg[img]

I'm using an image hosting web site to insert my avatar -- keeping it nice and small, like Vickie and Oskaar outlined, about 100 by 100 pixels.

Seems to work well enough! Oskaar, Vickie . . . if you guys see any problems with this method, let me/us know.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Just post your avatar somewhere that lets you upload photos.

Then create a link to it using the fully qualified http:// address and post that link as the first line of your post!

For example, Joe's avatar is located at:

http://home.fuse.net/mattioli/JoeMattioli.jpg

Then to make the image appear rather than the link just enclose it in HTML as follows:

[ img ] http://home.fuse.net/mattioli/JoeMattioli.jpg [ /img ] (make sure to remove the spaces in the html and in the URL)

now Joe's Avatar looks like this:

JoeMattioli.jpg

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Thanks Oskaar!

Note if you put it in your signature all of your old posts will display it. 8) ;D ;D ;D If the tag line accepted more characters I could have it where the avatars used to be. Vicky?

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Lets just keep them in the body for now.

Vicky will be making some changes to the forums this week and adding lings in the sig footer and such will just make that tougher for her.

thanks,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey,

Just wait until the templates are back on track and then there will be some additional features that you'll really get a kick out of!!

Oskaar <------- Looking for BIG glass of mead!

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Wrathwilde said:
How does this work exactly? What tells the image server to load the image in? Does it work with any image server?

The image server is a repository for the graphic file.

The posting just contains the URL to your graphic file, contained in some tags [ img ] [ /img ] (without the spaces).

The Forum server converts the url reference into HTML that tells your browser to get the graphic and display it, when you the user requested the page to be displayed. So the graphic isn't stored on the forum (taking up space), just the URL for the graphic.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns