• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Back Drying

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
Yes. That's what I said. Back drying. I'm not afraid to ask a dumb question, so here I go.

I've got 5 gallons of JAO that will be ready to bottle in about a month. The last batch I made was a little sweet for my taste, so I was wondering: Does anyone add pure grain alcohol to suit their taste before they bottle? Sounds like cheating, but I thought I would ask.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You can do that. You can also add vodka or rum if you as well. Don't be in a hurry to bottle anything. It takes a while for the liquor to integrate. Bottle it too soon and you really won't know what you have. You could raise your tannins some as well. Or you could make acid adjustments also. I have made really sweet, and bone dry traditionals. That way I can adjust accordingly with Mead if need be to get where I need to go for a finished product.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Everclear works well, there is a calculator Pearsons Square that lets you plug in the starting alcohol level and calculates how much to add to reach what you want it to be at, a good place to start vs just dumping some in and tasting, and tasting, and tasting and only ending up with one bottle to store away:) WVMJ

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Of course, next time you make a batch don't add as much honey up front and you'll have less residual sweetness in the end

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Let us now what you did and how it worked out. You can also make a bone-dry mead to blend with your too-sweet mead.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I'm reluctant to tamper with the recipe since this is a JAO. It's only the third batch I've made, so no other mead to blend with it.

I will go easy on the adjustment and I will keep records and report back.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
You could always make a gallon of JAO using less honey than the recipe calls for so it goes dry (maybe 2.25 lb as a guess? I'd aim for 12% with the mead calculator) and use that for blending, it wouldn't take THAT long to do, it might even be ready sooner than expected with the decreased amount of honey. I'd recommend stabilizing if you do add a lower-grav batch in though, wouldn't want the yeasties to wake up again.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I would, except I would have to make close to five gallons. I've already got ten gallons going right now. Five gallons of JAO and five gallons of your blackberry JAO. In a few months, I'm going to be a popular guy.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I would, except I would have to make close to five gallons. I've already got ten gallons going right now. Five gallons of JAO and five gallons of your blackberry JAO. In a few months, I'm going to be a popular guy.

You would be surprised at the changes relatively small amounts of blend can make. Also, if you don't already have one, get a hydrometer and measure what you deem "too sweet" so that you can begin to have a record of what ending gravity you like and don't like. It seems trivial, but having a small notebook with measurements has huge payoffs later in your mead making hobby. If you have a sample that hits all your buttons, then you will have good chance of getting the big batch just where you want it. Also be aware that blends (at least in my experience) need a few days or ideally a week or two to "settle" and give a real indication of the final flavor. I did a very unscientific experiment once where I blended the same two (a dry and a sweet) meads to .010 .020 and .030 I initially preferred the .020 but after a week it was o contest and the .010 beat everything hands down.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns