• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Beer caps not sealing on beer bottles

Barrel Char Wood Products

Charlene

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2005
I'm having problems with closures these days. The latest is some sparkling cyser I put up a few weeks ago in beer bottles with beer caps. Today one of the caps was leaking. I removed it - the cyser is slightly sparkling but not as much as beer.

Why did it leak? What am I doing wrong? I thought beer caps were really foolproof, that you put them on and they stayed on no matter what.

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Normally beer caps hold very well... what kind of capper are you using, does it dimple the top of the cap when you seat it, and what kind of bottles are you using?

Charlene

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2005
I'm using an Agata stand beer capper and regular Old Speckled Hen 500 ml bottles.

The other six in that gallon seem to be holding fine.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Check and see if you can move your capper down one more notch, or add a couple of pieces of cardboard under the bottles so you get a full stroke on the lever when crowning them.

Can you photo one of the bottles top down and sideways, so we can see the lip

Cheers,

Oskaar

Charlene

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2005
I've recapped the other six according to your suggestion, Oskaar. Thank you. Don't have a camera available, I'm sorry.

The cyser is very good, though - smooth and integrated already. I only bottled it on the 6th.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns