• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Brew Bot

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
It's cute, but how much time is involved in setup and programming versus how long it'd take to do it yourself?

(yes I AM an engineer and yes I know that's not the point when it comes to cool toys :) )

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I'm an audio engineer, sounds like just as fancy a title, but no post-secondary required. ;)

(I do have a little post secondary, in writing and religion, but it's a hobby not something I've ever done full time or with the goal of ever getting any kind of degree)

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm an audio engineer, sounds like just as fancy a title, but no post-secondary required. ;)

(I do have a little post secondary, in writing and religion, but it's a hobby not something I've ever done full time or with the goal of ever getting any kind of degree)

I'm a engineer too, in the mining indusrty. Here in PA one cannot even put the word "engineer" on a business card or stationery unless they are a registered professional engineer. First offense is a $1,000 fine and it increases quickly for multiple offenses. To get registered one must work as an engineer-in-training for five years under another registered engineer and then pass an all-day, national exam. I'd guesstimate that less then half of the people who get a 4-year degree in engineering, actually get registered in PA.

But I regress... VERY cool toy!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I'm a engineer too, in the mining indusrty. Here in PA one cannot even put the word "engineer" on a business card or stationery unless they are a registered professional engineer. First offense is a $1,000 fine and it increases quickly for multiple offenses. To get registered one must work as an engineer-in-training for five years under another registered engineer and then pass an all-day, national exam. I'd guesstimate that less then half of the people who get a 4-year degree in engineering, actually get registered in PA.

In Canada we differentiate between the degree and the professional designation (similar deal), so if I had business cards they would say B. Eng, not P.Eng. I'm happy without the responsibility (making a mistake on the job can lead to fines and even jailtime) and with a degree ten years stale, I would require a lot of retraining just to get a position that would lead to professional designation. And Wildoates, don't feel bad, I survived the degree but it ain't all it's cracked up to be! :D

But I regress... VERY cool toy!

Absolutely... still curious how much time it saves though :)

moonie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 24, 2011
High Point NC
My last couple of Job titles involve the title Engineer, Level 3 UNIX/Linux Engineer and currently UNIX Security Engineer. Level 3 means you don't call me when your desktop breaks, you call me when your business critical server breaks. I think this means I'm one of those geeks that secretly rules the world. As a UNIX Security Engineer I man the battlements keeping the unwashed barbarians at bay.

I do not have an Engineering degree however, I just play one at work.

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM

So what do "Microsoft Certified Engineers do?" and I wonder what they would call my best friend, he refers to himself as an Engineer, but his degrees say PHd in Physics?

Me I just play with data all day for people.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
So what do "Microsoft Certified Engineers do?" and I wonder what they would call my best friend, he refers to himself as an Engineer, but his degrees say PHd in Physics?

I doubt that "Microsoft Certified Engineers" would qualify as engineers in PA.

I think it's crazy that degreed engineers cannot legally refer to themselves as engineers. The really nutty thing is that one does not necessarily have to have a degree in engineering to get to be a Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.). They must first pass an all-day, national Fundamentals of Engineering (F.E.) Exam (previously call the Engineer-in-Training Exam, E.I.T.) and do engineering work for five years under a P.E. THEN they can take the P.E. exam. Your friend with the degree in physics may have a decent chance of passing the engineering exams if he takes short courses geared at passing those exams.

PA has just instituted a requirement for engineers to get a number of CEU-type credits to maintain their license. I do it, but I fail to see how attending a boring lecture or a trade show makes me a better engineer. I presented a paper in Denver earlier this month. I love the Big Blue Bear at staring into the convention center.

randrick

NewBee
Registered Member

Typically Microsoft certification is referred to as MSCE.

Also you can have a title such as Vice President, Engineering on your business card, you just can't claim to be an engineer without a PE.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Those who can, do. Those who can't....well, we teach. :p

I sent the link to my son and he replied that his girlfriend would never let him have one. :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns