• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

carboy concern

Barrel Char Wood Products
D

dmerrick

ok im a total noob and need help
following joes ancient orange for my first one using the one gallon carboy
and i was wondering how to seal it.
i was looking online and they have the carboys that have these for lids and wondering if thats ok
carboy i was looking at-http://www.letsdowine.com/1gagljug.html
lid i was looking at-http://www.letsdowine.com/whmesctop38.html
i was looking at americanbrewmaster.com but they dont accept paypal, so if you have a site that you like that is appreciated as well.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Hey dmerrick

WELCOME TO GOTMEAD

As to your question:
where are you int he brewing process right now?
Do you mean (a) how to seal it after you mix together ingredients and yeast?
or do you mean (b) how to seal it after it is finished and you are waiting to drink it?

if you are starting a brew, once you put together ingredients and yeast you should put it under airlock and bung, available at you Local Home Brew Shop or here and here on the web by credit or debit card.

If you want to age your brew, you should transfer it to a new 1 gallon jug to get it off of the lees (the thick cake of dead yeast etc at the bottom of your jug) and put it under airlock again. That will be enough to keep the air out to allow it to age. You could also bottle it in wine or beer bottles, though I transfer mine at least once first to keep yeast out of my brew. If you want to just drink it from the jug, then I suppose there's no problem with capping your one gallon carboy and sluggin from the jug like Carlo Rosse.

Check out the Newbee guide it'll help you get a handle on the process.
Hope that helps.

/wolfie

JephSullivan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2006
home.comcast.net
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think you're asking how to seal the carboy after you mix together the ingredients and add the yeast. If that's the case then:

Don't use a screw-on cap!! The pressure of the carbon dioxide from the yeast will build up inside your glass carboy and burst it. You need something that will release the pressure, but keep air and germs out of your mead.

Almost all homebrewers use an airlock (also called: bubbler or air trap) and a drilled stopper (also called drilled bung, universal bung, universal stopper etc.) for this. Here are those items on the website you linked to in your first post:
You just stick the airlock in the stopper, and stick the stopper in the top of the carboy (after sanitizing them, of course). Then you fill the airlock half way with water. Once the yeast gets going, you will see the carbon dioxide bubbling out of the water in the airlock. I highly recommend the two websites that Wolfie posted. I have used both of them, and they were great.

D

dmerrick

ok thank you, i had read the newbie guide and i remembered that as soon as yousaid that, and now this is what i have ordered:
Airlock S-Bubble type
Airlock 3 piece type
(^didn't know which was better^)
6.5 Gallon glass carboy(looking to do a more advanced newbie 5 gallon recipe)
Rubber Stopper- Size 6- Drilled(for 1 gallon jug)
Small Universal Carboy Bung- Drilled(for 6.5 gallon carboy)
1 Gallon glass Jug
Nylon Boiling bag- 8 1/2" x 9 1/2"
Universal pH Paper(figure why not =/)
Sunleaves Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer
5' 3/8" Siphon Tubing- per foot(picked 3/8" randomly)
3/8" Curved Racking Cane-24" length( was told was great to have again 3/8" was random)

any questions concerns comment etc let me know items should be here by friday and hopefully im gonna start J.A.O. by monday

Moonshae

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 13, 2008
Equipment looks good, although you should get a hydrometer, too, and a 5-gal glass carboy to use as a secondary (less headspace).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns