• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Carboy Relaxation Therapy

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
I just put down an interesting book, "Ritalin Nation," by Richard DeGrandpre. The author questions current psychiatric diagnoses of ADD/ADHD, looking instead to a USA culture that moves too fast and too scattered. A culture induced disorder, he suggests.

Such a shandeh! So much of this has the ring of truth to it. In the urban areas, everywhere I look, people rush about, cell phones to the ear, chasing the golden ring. No one has time for themselves, or for their others.

Leisure time is the, down time (?) for the soul. European, Mediterranean based cultures, the people there, they take their down time. The side walk cafes are for lingering and talking.

Then there is meadmaking. A wonderful hobby. Like gardening. You toil in the earth, nurture the plants and enjoy the fruits of your labor. So it is with the mead. The honey must is carefully prepared, the fermentation nurtured along, and then you have the final product. Bottled and stored away, to be opened at the right time, when it is time for leisure. Swirl the glass, inhale, sip and enjoy.

The labor is also leisure. Even sitting back and watching the process. Someone on this forum posted on this? It's true, lots of people have commented on how relaxing it is to watch the bubbling amber honey must.

So, here is my experiment. Place the carboy with the fermenting honey must on a wooden pedestal, painted black, with the back open. The pedestal should also have a hole on top, small enough to allow the carboy to be placed over it. Inside the pedestal place a mirror canted at a 45 degree angle. Now, behind the pedestal, place a flood lamp with a revolving colored wheel, the kind you can get at home improvement stores. Cover this with black plastic, so the light reaches the inside of the pedestal but doesn't go elsewhere. You want the light to be reflected off the mirror and up through the carboy, but not to be shone through the room, or allowed to heat the honey must. Choose relaxing colors for the color wheel.

Now darken the room and watch the changing colors on the carboy.

Very relaxing!

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Why stop with a mirror? I say break out the disco ball and some strobe lights! A fog machine could be added for effect as well.

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Oh yeah! A little ZZ Tops, Aerosmith... A few people to dance around with...

Party at Sig's house! WOOT!

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
ZZ Top? Aerosmith? A bit past my time, I'm afraid.

I've been listing to the Carl Stalling Project, collections of the music he composed for Warner Bros between 1936 through 1958. That sounds like good party music!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
"Puddy Tat Trouble" is one of my favorite tracks on that CD! Good insight as to what goes on in a recording studio.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Sigmund Von Meader said:
I just put down an interesting book, "Ritalin Nation," by Richard DeGrandpre. The author questions current psychiatric diagnoses of ADD/ADHD, looking instead to a USA culture that moves too fast and too scattered. A culture induced disorder, he suggests.

I have seen this first hand. Since I'm young, I have seen this exact thing happen over and over again to kids. My younger half brother grew up with ADD and a host of self esteem problems because his parents were never around.

I know someone who has a 4 year old son that always wants attention and practically runs around screaming. I have little doubt he has ADD. The problem? His parents were gone out working much of his life. Sure they stuck him in day care and so forth, but people need to realize that it's their parents attention that they crave.

Do you blame his parents? Good question. Although I don't think his parents are good parents, you can't entirely blame them. After all, the society forces both parents to work nowadays, and they couldn't make it unless they both worked. They would stay home instead if it were possible, with or without a son, right?

What a sad state of affairs.

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
Norskersword said:
Do you blame his parents? Good question. Although I don't think his parents are good parents, you can't entirely blame them. After all, the society forces both parents to work nowadays, and they couldn't make it unless they both worked. They would stay home instead if it were possible, with or without a son, right?

It depends on the parents. Some parents would stay home and some wouldn't.

Personally, I don't buy the whole "society forces both parents to work" thing. IMO, in most cases it is more an issue of the parents not being willing to lose the second income than being forced to have it. My wife and I live a fairly comfortable life. We currently have no children. If/when we have children, one of us will stay home with them. As it is, we can live off of my salary alone, although, we obviously wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as we are. If we require a second income, then either we will stagger our working schedules so that someone is always home with the child, or one of us will take a second job while the other stays home. It comes down to which is more important, maintining your comfort level or raising your child.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
I agree with the idea that these arn't good parents, and I also agree with your point that the child should come first and that parents should be able to deal with a little uncomfort in the name of their children.

But as you said, everyone is different. These people don't have much money to begin with, in fact I don't think either of them even graduated. I'm going out on a limb on this but I'm betting it is easier for you or your spouse to get a job then it is for them.

One can not argue that things are much different then they were in the 50's as far as the home family structure.

But you are very right. If my girlfriend got pregnant, the first thing I would do would be to get another job! But then again, I graduated. ;)

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Aggie4You said:
It comes down to which is more important, maintining your comfort level or raising your child.

I think this is a lame cop out from someone who can't appreciate the situation. It's always black and white when you are being an armchair quarterback. I think your point is valid but trivializing by saying 'it comes down to [one thing]' isn't the correct route to take.

My wife and I have three kids. For the first two she worked days and I worked nights. We took the kids to daycare during the day (so I could sleep) and when my kids and wife got home we would spend the entire evening together. On Friday's (I didn't work Friday night so I waited until the 'normal person time' to go to bed) the kids stayed home with me. We were both able to work and 'keep our comfort level' and we were able to spend a good deal of time with our kids.

When my third kid was born we realized that the cost of daycare for all of them would cancel out any income my wife made so now she stays home. She does however run a daycare of her own. So she spends the entire day with our kids and one or two more. On top of that she makes about half of her old salary, so in a sense she gets to be with the kids and she ended up with a 50% pay raise.

It should also be noted that while 'mommy and daddy' time is very important so is interaction with other kids around their age. A child can have problems if their parents are never around but they can have just as many problems if their parents are their only interaction.

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
jab said:
It's always black and white when you are being an armchair quarterback.

Which is precisely why I stated that I don't currently have any children. It helps you to determine the proper level of respect to give to my opinions. :)

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oy vey, what's going on up there? Finding the ideal situation for parenting and children -- such a mish mosh! Winnicott had the right idea -- parents don't have to be perfect, only "good enough."

Oskaar said:
"Puddy Tat Trouble" is one of my favorite tracks on that CD! Good insight as to what goes on in a recording studio.

Have you seen Warner Bros "Bugs Bunny on Broadway"? Great combination of the classics with the screen play.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I haven't seen bugs on broadway but I'll definately get around to it soon. I'm in the middle of a couple of projects on a consulting engagement so I have to schedule accordingly.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oskaar said:
I haven't seen bugs on broadway but I'll definately get around to it soon. I'm in the middle of a couple of projects on a consulting engagement so I have to schedule accordingly.

Ech, I should not be so literal. I meant the CD version. Not hard to find, Amazon.com is so wonderful!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
O I C!

I thought it was on DVD, but now I can find it via MP3. I'll have to check it out.

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns