• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Chaucer's Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Really cold! And pair it with some spicy chile or BBQ pork

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Foothiller

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 1, 2015
Sierra Foothills, CA
Enjoying a sweet mead can be a matter of personal preference. I have seen friends look down on mead as being too sweet for them, then have one of mine that has plenty of flavor despite being dry, and say ooh, I like this. But a number of people do like sweet meads too.

58limited

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
May 25, 2015
SE Texas
www.1958buickforum.net
I went head and bought a bottle last night, tried it cold and then tried it hot with the mulling spices. My opinion has not changed, I just don't like this mead. It has a taste reminiscent of petroleum. Maybe I got an old bottle with light contamination from sitting on the store shelf. Me and my BIL just could not drink this bottle.

Last edited:

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
That's how I feel about Viking Blod yet others love it. The bottles do tend to sit on shelves in not optimum storage conditions so maybe that's the problem.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
Here is MS, commercial meads are hard to find. Finally found one, Chaucer's, at a local liquor store yesterday. Tried it yesterday evening. It is a sweet mead and has a very "perfumy" aroma to me. The only thing I have to compare it to is the mead I've made myself. Did not like the Chaucer's very much due to the "perfumy" smell/taste.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I also think Chaucer's can get bad reviews because it is more likely to sit on a shelf for a long time, like ruby port. I've had bottles of ruby port that were undrinkable and that's because they sat on a shelf for a year or two before I came into the liquor store, walked past all the "cinnamon whisky" garbage the kids are drinking now, and picked up a dusty old bottle that hasn't been cool since 1743. I'm sure the proprietor ALWAYS has his a/c on 24/7 keeping the wines at 65F all the time; and that the tooth fairy is real.

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
My parents are old friends with a guy named Paul Wofford, who was the winemaker at Bargetto Winery in Santa Cruz for many years when I was a young man. Bargetto is the parent winery that makes the Chaucers brand of mead and other fruit wine.

My family and I would go down to Bargetto to taste wine and catch up with Paul when I was younger. He'd bring out the Chaucers for us younguns, which was my first introduction to mead.

The Chaucers they had at the winery tastes a lot better than the stuff they've got on the shelf, which leads me to agree that the bottles must be badly mistreated. When it hasn't been abused, Chaucers isn't that bad. Produced with an eye more for easy quaffing than quality, yes, but not entirely the swill its reputation suggests.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I don't think it's swill at all. It's the gateway mead for many. My gateway mead was Brotherhood Winery Tej. Very drinkable really cold and an excellent mead to pair with spicy food.

Most experts would laugh it out of a room for not being sophisticated enough or whatever but sometimes you just want to eat and drink and enjoy everything.

Going to a ball game and complaining about the beer not being "Goat Scrotum Ale aged in whisky barrels" is missing the point of going to a baseball game. Just drink the beer and eat the stupid hot dog.

Same with Chaucers. I tell you what, I wish I was the guy making and selling Chaucers because I bet he ain't hurting for cash.

R

ReneeW

Hi I'm a NewBee here and have been lurking for awhile...

I found Chaucers a bit sweet for my taste, however, I have an extremely inexperienced palate. I did have Moonlight Meadery's Desire last weekend and thought it was great. I think once I have my traditionals out of primary (Steve Piatz basic OB and loveofrose BOMM), I'll give some berry melomels a try after a JAOM.

I do think if the Chaucers were sparkling, I might enjoy it more. Maybe I'll mix it with some cheap Champagne and see if it grows on me, lol. It's the only mead I could find in my local grocery store, sigh. I found the Moonlight at a high end grocery 30 miles down the road and a bit pricey for the quantity and too far for regular enjoyment.

Renee

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
and that the tooth fairy is real.[/QUOTE]

Of coarse the tooth fairy is real! What's the problem!! :)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
You could always throw a couple of cases in a keg and force carb it!

R

ReneeW

I think I should just be patient and wait on my BOMMs. Three gallons fermenting and not a drop to drink. I'll go get some beer, lol, and make more mead!

Sparked_Tiger

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 3, 2021
USA
Chaucer's Mead was the second meadery that I tried. I have to say that I liked it, but Desi's Dew was better in my opinion. Others may like Chaucer's better. I just wish that they had more of a variety here than just a sweet mead.

Dan O

Honey Master
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
Chaucer's Mead was the second meadery that I tried. I have to say that I liked it, but Desi's Dew was better in my opinion. Others may like Chaucer's better. I just wish that they had more of a variety here than just a sweet mead.
Moonlight Meadery in Londonderry, NH boasts an impressive 60+ flavors of mead year round & will ship, as long as you're in a state that allow it. They are also worldwide in many different countries.

Reactions: Sparked_Tiger

Sparked_Tiger

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 3, 2021
USA
You're welcome
I just realized something. I am not sure that I can get Moonlight Meadery delivered to the state that I live in. They need to get a tax stamp from this state to do home deliveries and the local stores that sell alcohol charge way more for such orders. That means that I would pay thirty dollars or more for a fifteen to twenty dollar bottle of mead. 😾

That is the state I live in.

• Sad
Reactions: Dan O

Dan O

Honey Master
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
I just realized something. I am not sure that I can get Moonlight Meadery delivered to the state that I live in. They need to get a tax stamp from this state to do home deliveries and the local stores that sell alcohol charge way more for such orders. That means that I would pay thirty dollars or more for a fifteen to twenty dollar bottle of mead. 😾

That is the state I live in.
Total bummer. He's got some pretty awesome flavors

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns