• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Contaminated? more pictures... and another twist... :p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ibiduin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2005

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Ibiduin,

Looks good to me. Its definitly time to rack the clear stuff off of those lees. Try tasteing it and see what you think. Some meads finish up in 2 to 3 weeks. Two months is plenty of time. A little taste will remove all your fears and doubts.

Cheers,
Joe

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yup, same here.

Dude, you need to take one giant step back and focus your camera!

Looks like a rockin batch, run with it!

Cheers,

Oskaar

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
I agree with the others here. Take a taste. Beautiful color on that mead, BTW!

-David

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Ibiduin said:
http://www.BlueCascade.com/mead1.jpg
http://www.BlueCascade.com/mead2.jpg

Started it in may, basic strawberry melomel 5gal w/ purfect puree as strawberry base (blanc dry powder yeast). It's already clear, which is making me wonder even more, and look at the muck all at the bottom, it's all grey :| It's only been 2 months, maybe a bit more... The batch is no longer bubbling, and is see through (crystal clear).

My previous post....
http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1145.0.html

It's really hard to tell from the pictures -- best shot is to show the surface of the mead in the carboy, then maybe a close up. An infection shows characteristics such as a film across the surface, floating colonies as distinguished from surface foam, etc.

From what you're saying, it's time to rack. If you have suspicions about the stuff on the surface, siphon the good stuff below it but cut off the siphon once it gets close to the floaties. Sulfite if you're still uncertain.

Hope this is helpful!

Ibiduin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2005
sulfate? :)
top looks clear... just worried bout how the bottom is looking now.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
What about it worries you? from what i can tell from the pics it looks pretty normal.

Ibiduin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2005
the scum in the bottom.. (sorry dunno proper name)
seems much more gray to me than would be for normal. I have seen mead being done several times before... just my first time solo.

I'll re rack it this weekend when I have some free time.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
The sediment (or lees) is just the yeast dropping out of suspension and it's perfectly normal. You have to rack off of it every 6 weeks or so so it doesn't effect the taste of the end product.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns