• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

D-47 question re stirring late

Barrel Char Wood Products

Commander Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 9, 2005
Relevant to an older thread by Oskaar. Using D-47 to be specific, did the folks you spoke with indicate that you should STIR again toward the end of fermentation, or get air into it? I'm thinking they meant mix the sediment back into suspension but not get new air. New air would be detrimental while simply mixing the must would get more mouthfeel out of the spent yeast.

Oskaar?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
That's exactly right Toasty. The idea is to resuspend the yeast and allow those long chain polysaccharides to get into the mead and impart that nice, round flavor.

cheers,

Oskaar

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
I have never done any sur lie aging of meads (except for the occasional forgotten carboy sitting on the lees for a couple of months after primary) ;)
I did however just start a batch of sage blossom mead using Lalvin BA11 which was recommended to me for sur lie aging.
I read the 'Sur lie and batonnage' article at the Improved Winemaking site (http://members.tripod.com/~BRotter/) and I have a couple of questions. I'm curious as to how you fellow mazers have gone about it.

1) Are you aging on the lees in the secondary?
2) How do you stir the must (power drill lees stirrer)? Does this present an oxidation problem?
3) How often do you stir?
4) How long do you age on lees?

Your help is much appreciated!
Kirk

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Here's a link to another question along the same lines.

http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1215.msg9472.html#msg9472

I have a cyser that I spiked with cherries and blueberries in the primary that has been on the lees for about 7 months now, it's doing great.

It's in secodary and I stir about 1 once a month. I've left lees batches for a year, there are some folks from the B3 store up north that have left them on the lees for as much as three years with great results.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns