• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Different floaters then I've seen before

Barrel Char Wood Products

Drewed

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2017
S.E Wisconsin
I fully admit that I may be hitting the panic button too soon here, but I have some stuff floating on the surface of my mead that hasn't been in any other batch I've made. I think it just may be yeast stick in CO2, but....

This is also my first time using this yeast, so it may just be the way this yeast is.

Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead
2.5 lbs Clover Honey
1 lb "Wisconsin" Honey. I'm guessing wildflower mix.
1/4 tea spoon "food." Basically a mix of DAP and Fermaid K, but my LHB's mix.
Water to 1 gallon

History:
Pitched yeast on March 4th, smack pack was inflated
Stirred to de-gas and aerate on the 5th, 6th, and 7th.
No bubbles in the air lock until March 7th

Will feed again today if SG warrants it.

IMG_4926_zpsazy9dr5t.jpg

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You could suck that off the top with a turkey baster.
I would suggest starting your feedings once you see proof of fermentation. You feed bad guys for 3 days. Did you pitch with the temps of your slurry and must the same? Lag should never take more than half a day at most.

I wouldn't worry about that stuff. Remove it if it worries you. Or just stir it in.

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
Might be a pellicle (film on the surface produced by wild yeast/bacteria), might not. They're very heterogeneous in appearance.

Don't panic. Check the SG. Give your commercial yeast the TLC they need. It's unlikely the batch is "ruined." The proof will be in the pudding when it's finished and you taste it.

Drewed

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2017
S.E Wisconsin
She didn't stink and SG is about 1/3, so I fed it and stirred it in. I'll look later and see if it returned.

IT also didn't taste too bad. Tasted like VERY young mead.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I'd be real skeptical there's Fermaid K in there. If your LHB buys actual Fermaid K in large 2.5kg bags he'd be an idiot to bastardize the formula by cutting it with dap. This is because there are very few nutrients out there which are as complete as Fermaid K. I can't imagine someone creating a mix rather than selling them seperately unless it is not fermaid k

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
She didn't stink and SG is about 1/3, so I fed it and stirred it in. I'll look later and see if it returned.

IT also didn't taste too bad. Tasted like VERY young mead.

It's probably yeast. i've had some yeast make small colonies at the must surface. If you want to make sure its not spoiiled you could always add sulhpites to about 30 ppm. That should take care of any non comercial fungus/bacteria. However i dont know how strong that yeast you used is. it may die if you do this and then you should repitch with something like EC1118 or something else that does good with free SO2. Anyway, as i said, i dont think its anything weird
If it was a pellicle it would most likely start from a surface of the vessel and grow inwards. So i dont think thats it either. Smell it for paint smell or acetic/vinegar smell. If it shows none of those or any other weird ones you are probably safe too. remember your nose is better at detecting low ammounts of volatile subtances than your tongue.
And to be clear, you stirred to degass and it did release CO2? if so, fermentation was underway already, and i wouldnt think its contaminated even if you had no bubbles in the airlock.

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
I'd be real skeptical there's Fermaid K in there. If your LHB buys actual Fermaid K in large 2.5kg bags he'd be an idiot to bastardize the formula by cutting it with dap. This is because there are very few nutrients out there which are as complete as Fermaid K. I can't imagine someone creating a mix rather than selling them seperately unless it is not fermaid k

And yes, thats weird. Unless you mean some other nutrient under a commercial name, I'd ask them what it contains and in what ammounts to make sure you aint getting scammed. Since you are in america you dont have problems to find all kinds of good nutrients. Seems like there are a lot of online free-shipping stores that sell them.

Drewed

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2017
S.E Wisconsin
My bad. It is a mix of their "nutrient" and their "energizer." They suggested that I mix the two of them togeather. I "applied" the brand name to it.

Billiamos

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 10, 2023
Michigan
I fully admit that I may be hitting the panic button too soon here, but I have some stuff floating on the surface of my mead that hasn't been in any other batch I've made. I think it just may be yeast stick in CO2, but....

This is also my first time using this yeast, so it may just be the way this yeast is.

Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead
2.5 lbs Clover Honey
1 lb "Wisconsin" Honey. I'm guessing wildflower mix.
Water to 1 gallon

History:
Pitched yeast on March 4th, smack pack was inflated
Stirred to de-gas and aerate on the 5th, 6th, and 7th.
No bubbles in the air lock until March 7th

Will feed again today if SG warrants it.

IMG_4926_zpsazy9dr5t.jpg
How did this turn out for you? I wanted to check threads before posting but I have the same stuff forming on my first batch of cyser and am a little worried lol

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns