• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Energizer and Nutrients: Whats the Difference?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Teufelhund

Banned
Oct 17, 2007
POX 181 Covington, OH 45318
Looked all over, couldn't find an answer or comparison. Thought about asking Oskaar offline so I wouldn't look like a dumbass, but thought, well, I already am, so it doesn't matter. :laughing7:
So what's the difference? Are they used at different times of fermentation? I noticed in a previous post on aeration that both were used to start.
Thanks!

DD

punkideas

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2007
The short answer is it depends. Unfortunately, generic nutrient and energizer are used interchangeably, so it isn't easy to say. If your nutrient and energizer have ingredients listed, you may want to post those, and you will get a better answer. The consensus on this board is that Fermaid-K and GoFerm, along with a little DAP added at various times is the way to go (search SNA for more info).

Aside from that, my guess would be the best way to use them if you don't know what's in them is to use slightly more than is recommended (the listed dosage is usually for wine musts, which is more nutrient rich than mead musts) and split it 50/50 between end of lag phase and 1/3 sugar break.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
In my experience yeast nutrient is generally a mixture containing mostly diammonium phosphate and a lesser amount of food-grade urea. Yeast energizer ranges in composition but generally consists of diammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulphate, and vitamin B.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
With respect to when to use them, there is no single answer. If you run through Oskaar's, Wayne's, other experienced Mead makers recipes, you will see that nutrient additions can occur at different times and different levels. I suggest you run through the discussion on the ABC Group brew to see why we did not add certain nutrients at times when they were needed in other recipes.

Angus

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns