• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Favorite Holiday brew?

Barrel Char Wood Products

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I just bought myself three 22oz bottles of Karl Strauss's Parrot in a Palm Tree, special release Baltic Porter that's been aged in 20 year old port barrels from a local winery. I'm guessing this will be my favorite, but I was wondering if anyone else had a favorite delicious brew to keep them "warm" this season. :)

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Nah! just whatever I have the most of, or whatever flavouring catches my eye in the local HBS (he keeps the "Still Spirits" range of home distilling and vodka flavouring products).

Went down there last week and I've just mixed up some "Butterscotch Schnapps" (1 x 750ml bottle and 1 x 375ml bottle). Stupidly sweet but strong enough to be a bit of a giggle to drink.........

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have two!

I just bought myself three 22oz bottles of Karl Strauss's Parrot in a Palm Tree, special release Baltic Porter that's been aged in 20 year old port barrels from a local winery. I'm guessing this will be my favorite, but I was wondering if anyone else had a favorite delicious brew to keep them "warm" this season. :)
The first is an Apple-Jack. 6 to 8 ounces of hot apple cider and a shot (or more) of Jack Daniels. Add a cinnamon stick and let steep for a short time and you’re good to go. I would recommend having a second and a third helping to get all the use out of the cinnamon stick. No use letting it go to waste.

Coffee & wine, an old Italian favorite… or at least it’s a favorite with old Italians. Mix equal parts of FRESH, piping hot, strong coffee and dry, red wine (jug wine will suffice). Add sugar to taste. Excellent for December tailgates or sleigh rides!

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
The first is an Apple-Jack. 6 to 8 ounces of hot apple cider and a shot (or more) of Jack Daniels. Add a cinnamon stick and let steep for a short time and you’re good to go. I would recommend having a second and a third helping to get all the use out of the cinnamon stick. No use letting it go to waste.

Coffee & wine, an old Italian favorite… or at least it’s a favorite with old Italians. Mix equal parts of FRESH, piping hot, strong coffee and dry, red wine (jug wine will suffice). Add sugar to taste. Excellent for December tailgates or sleigh rides!

Wow! Both of those sound delicious! I'll have to try them out a few times. Especially since I hate wasting cinnamon sticks... ;)

Kun2112

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2010
Celina, OH
Well, for me post Christmas till Jan 3rd are the typical relax time of the year. The Holidays are over, work is slow if I'm not burning vacation before the New Year, and people drive like they're not rushing to get the last Turboman ;D.

Beer wise: Pete's Wicked Winter is always a treat if it is a good year, the last bottle of Oberon from the summer trip to Kalamazoo--it's a summer beer, but hey, the last Spaten Oktoberfest, John Courage, Koenigshoven, Belgin Wheat, and that Heffenwisenhimer that I cannot remember the name of :icon_scratch:

Spirit wise: The MacAllan. 12, 18, 25 year in descending order of preference. Neat. no water. no ice. room temperature. I haven't tried anything older than 25 years yet, but that is at $700 a bottle last I looked. A friend forwarded me link to get some 60 year for $13k :eek:
Also, I like a sweet tea flavored vodka called Sweet Magnolia. Better for summer, but as a southerner sweet tea is in the blood. Only the 80 proof. The 40 proof adds lemon flavor :puke:

Wine: I just discovered mead. enough said

Last edited:

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Great responses everyone!

I cracked open a 1.5L magnum of 2009 Anchor Brewing Company's Christmas/New Years Ale on Christmas with the family. It was a nice, dry, dark ale that seemed like it would go well with chocolate...and it did! ;D

A local pub offers three different flights of this beer. 2000, 2004, 2007, 2010. 1999, 2005, 2009. And 2001, 2003, 2006, 2008. The best part is, the recipe is different for each year. The worst part is, each flight is around $25-30, but honestly, it's probably worth trying at least one flight. :)

Braxton

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Twin Cities
Wow, that is an impressive collection of Anchor's Christmas ale. I like the Summit winter ale here in Minnesota. I have hot mead a few times during the winter, and I love the smokey scotches. Wine in coffee? That sounds so strange that I have to try it.

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Nothing like the morning after a nice glass or two of Bloodmary's!
With breakfast or not makes no difference?
Make sure to use Clamato....Mmmmmmmmmmm :angel12:

Happy New Year All!!!!

TB

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns