• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

"Feed My Frankenstein"pumpkin braggot brewlog, take 2

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Had a full one the other night and I'm pleased. Went down so fast I forgot to pay attention to the mouthfeel, but the spicing's perfect.

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
So I brought a dozen up to Sudbury for my in-laws' 50th anniversary and shared a few around... ended up pouring two out and pouring four more into a Coke bottle to be brought home and examined because they didn't carbonate at all. I don't think they tasted sweeter than the ones that did carb but it's hard to tell with the carbonic acid prickle. Of the eight we opened, I think two were properly carb'd. Weird. I've never had that much trouble carbonating a batch before. And it's not the first time I've sulphited and re-innoculated because of suspected ickies, either, and the cider carbed up just fine.

It's a little thin on mouthfeel especially after carbonation, and at times it had a flavour that reminded me of soda water.

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
I know most of my beer I've made over the years has something green and/or white-ish floating in it from the hops. You weren't using much, if I read it correctly, but still..the finer, lighter stuff will float on top, stay suspended sometime, and form chunks and stuff. That was probably all that was. Guess it could have also been fiber from the pumpkin adding to the solid masses as well, especially the orange bits.

Sorry if I missed it, but it's late and I'm tired... What volume batch was this, and how did you bottle this? What process, I mean. Was it with a bottling bucket?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure all the solids had settled out, this was an infection of some sort, it even came back after bottling, although it hasn't killed anyone or affected the taste so I guess it's harmless.

It was a 3 gal batch, I bottled from a carboy after racking it off most of the crud and priming it, using racking cane, hose and bottle filler, beer bottles with crown caps.

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members