• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help My First Mead!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
But the liquid gold I just racked off from my first batch makes it all worth it...

Now that's what I'm talking about! Rock on!

And you're right, it's a mixture of pride and amazement. But the good news is that I get to chuckle at my wife now, too. *grins wickedly*

Now, just imagine; I have started the process of figuring out how to do this on a much larger scale. So, I envision myself standing on a catwalk checking things out in every fermentor before I call it a night and go home... lol

hellbringer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2004
one of the reasons im in such a hurry is because i was wanting to have some to drink for chrismas...with people coming up to visit i wanted to share some. I thought this was going to be possible since the website i ordered the kit from said it only takes 3-4 months. i tasted some of it during the rackings and it tasted pretty good.

I know it won't be properly aged by chrismas but as long as it tastes good id like to be able to share some. and i havn't added any acid to it...just baking soda. i know im new to this but i wouldn't think 2 tsp. of baking soda would be very noticable in 5 gallons of mead.

i also have some peach flavoring im going to add to half of it at bottleing that should also help cover up the baking soda.

the 88 temp was of the actual pad itself...the mead is probly much less i havn't check the actual liquid with gauge yet.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Dude,

One thing you'll find is that you can't hurry mead. It has a way of teaching you patience. This I know firsthand because I am the world's second most impatient person.

I figure the most impatient person died of heart failure or of mead related stress and a new top candidate is being sought after even as I write this.

The good thing is that your friends and relatives will pay you compliments on your mead because it is something you are hand-crafting, so basque in the glory of their adulation.

Seriously though, you need to leave your mead alone for a bit. It's okay to rack some off for Christmas time, but peeking is OK. Tweaking at this point ist verbotten.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns