• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help...

Barrel Char Wood Products

WyldWytch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2012
Morganville, NJ
Ok, I racked my first melomel today, it was fermented with Lavlin D-47. Please tell me the yeasty smell will go away or if I screwed up in some way and how to fix it.

Here are the basics:

Starting gravity - 1.134
Finished gravity - 1.019 (sits between 1.018 and 1.020)

Recipe -

17.5 lbs of Orange Blossom Honey
Lavlin D-47
SNS
3.1 lbs of apricot puree
enough spring water to fill 5 gallon pail which was then transferred immediately to a 6.5g Better bottle

Started on October 4, 2012
First racking off lees October 28, 2012

If you need any other info feel free to ask.

Rosie

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Ahhhh, thank you. My husband walked past me this morning racking it and all he could say was...."That SH*T reeks!!" So encouraging...LOL

Rosie
Yes... My partner's never been that supportive either. I think the best response to a tasting was: "it's not as disgusting as usual. "
I shouldn't expect the smell to be that bad though. Nevertheless, see if it smells after its cleared. I had a lot of sulphur in a Ginger Beer once, it was feral, you could smell it from 3 yards away.
There are mechanisms for removing excessive odours and volatiles if need be, but it's too early ATM.

<shrug> So do babies. I'm told they get better with age ;D
Unlike husbands?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yes... My partner's never been that supportive either. I think the best response to a tasting was: "it's not as disgusting as usual. "

Yeah, mine leaves the room when I rack a fresh batch, hates the smell... although I do at least get useful info from him at tastings sometimes, even if he calls sour things bitter :)

Unlike husbands?

_I_ didn't say it ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns