• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How long is okay for Pri.

Barrel Char Wood Products

ciderman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 26, 2005
So I've done the background by reading Schramm. My plan is to take the 5 gallon show mead that started fermenting 4 days ago and add rack it onto some fruit in 1 gallon carboys, each with different fruits and alittle more honey, and one traditional mead. I have just found out that the raspberry season doesn't come around for another 2 months or so :'(. My question is; how long can I leave the must in the primary? I'm more concered about complete fermentation and no beasties left when I rack to the fruited secondary than I am with off flavor.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
You are likely ok to leave it primary for another 2 months. Could you post your recipe? Also realize that fermentation will likely start back up when you rack, even if only for a little bit. The agitation of the yeast and that added sugar will almost guarantee it will.

ciderman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 26, 2005
I'm really winging it as far as the recipe goes. I have the medium show mead that goes like this if memory serves:

12 lbs sourwood honey
4 gal water
2 tsp energizer
2 tsp nutrient

After primary fermentation I will rack into seperate 1 gallon containers each containing another 1 lb of honey and about 2 lbs of fruit. I anticipate using raspberries, peaches, blackberries, and if I can swing it, pickly pears.

I was hoping this would end up making 6 gallons, but wont be disappoined as long as I get 1 gallon that is actually drinkable. This will be my third attempt at making mead. The previous 2 only yeilded rocket fuel. This time I have the benefits of "GOT MEAD" and Schramm.

ciderman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 26, 2005
Sorry, how could I forget about my beasties???? I used the D-47 fro Lalvin.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
From what I've read D-47 is excellent for lees aging. Here's a quote from Oskaar -

(I have 6 gallons of my New Year cyser that has been sitting on D-47 lees since January this year. I've made some mesquite show mead that sat on the lees for a full year. My friends and family loved it.

There is a guy at Morebeer that made a batch aged sur lie for three years and everyone that tasted it enjoyed it from what I understand.

Cheers, Oskaar)

So it seems that you can let it age on the lees pretty much as long as you want, If you're going to back sweeten and concerned about restarting the fermentation... You should probably stabilize it, I agree that your fermentation is likely to start back up when reintroducing a sugar source for the yeast.

Wrathwilde

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
ciderman said:
I have just found out that the raspberry season doesn't come around for another 2 months or so :'(.

You can't find any? That's strange, I just bought some from Safeway last week...

ciderman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 26, 2005
I was waiting for the local stuff at the farmers market. Call me a freak if you want. I feel like I can choose which berries are worthy there.

It's the prickly pears I've had a hard time finding around here. (NC/VA)

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
ciderman said:
It's the prickly pears I've had a hard time finding around here. (NC/VA)

Earlier this year, we visited the inlaws in SC -- just over the border, near Myrtle Beach. I was very surprised to see that some folks were using prickly pear cactus there as ornamental plants in their yards. One yard had the biggest display I've ever laid eyes on -- with, literally, dozens of the fruit left on them from the year before (all rotted -- what a waste). They were huge, too! Goes to show what enough water and attention can do. Maybe you can find somebody growing them near you like that -- or, worst case, grow them yourself.

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yo! Cider-dude!

Remember, if you're going to let your must sit on the lees in primary or secondary you need to make sure that the yeast is designed for sur lie aging. D-47 and K1V are both fine. If you're using anything else you burn the cycles doing some research, and then share it here with us!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns