• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hydrometer doesn't give a reading.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Opolusia

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2022
Belgium
Hey guys,

I just got into my first mead making following the recipe from City Steading Brews.

I wanted to ask if there is a difference in types of hydrometers because when I went to try and take a reading it didn't even register on the scale of this thing. It says on the packaging it's made for wine and beer, no idea of that helps?

the brand is Stevens Reeves Ltd.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Do you have a model number?
How about a picture?
What is it doing? Floating to high or sinking?
How are you measuring? Are you putting the hydrometer directly into your fermenter or using a smaller container?
What was your recipe? You pointed to a YouTube page, which has many mead recipes.
What does it read when you put it in a glass of water? (should be approx = 1.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Opolusia

Opolusia

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2022
Belgium
Do you have a model number?
How about a picture?
What is it doing? Floating to high or sinking?
How are you measuring? Are you putting the hydrometer directly into your fermenter or using a smaller container?
What was your recipe? You pointed to a YouTube page, which has many mead recipes.

Thank you for taking your time to reply.
"
Do you have a model number? : How about a picture? : What is it doing? Floating to high or sinking? It is floating to the top so high there is no reading.
How are you measuring? Are you putting the hydrometer directly into your fermenter or using a smaller container? : I am using a 100 ml container : What was your recipe? You pointed to a YouTube page, which has many mead recipes.
Recipe :

1,5 kg of honey
Half an orange peel
55grams of cut raisins
fill 5L jug to the neck with water.

In water it reads 1 exactly
"

Fermentation has started and is bubbling away!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3HS8KS9v7hFL4y2z7 bubbling video.

Thanks again in advance.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
It looks like you have the S1011?

Unless you added a lot more honey than what was in the recipe, it looks like it should work. 1.5 kg and 5L of water, should give you an SG=1.09. You would have to have more than 2 kg of honey, in 5 L of water, to get the hydrometer to float higher than what it can read.

I've made the mistake of not adding enough to the graduated cylinder, so that the hydrometer was resting on the bottom of the cylinder. You didn't make that mistake, did you?

Opolusia

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2022
Belgium
It looks like you have the S1011?

Unless you added a lot more honey than what was in the recipe, it looks like it should work. 1.5 kg and 5L of water, should give you an SG=1.09. You would have to have more than 2 kg of honey, in 5 L of water, to get the hydrometer to float higher than what it can read.

I've made the mistake of not adding enough to the graduated cylinder, so that the hydrometer was resting on the bottom of the cylinder. You didn't make that mistake, did you?
The hydrometer actually floats to the top so not resting on the bottom. I did actually weigh the honey so i'm not sure what the problem is :/.

Do I have to throw it away and start a new batch ? Or should i just leave this be ?

Dan O

Honey Master
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
I'm only asking because the picture of the hydrometer is upside down, but, are you putting the big heavy end down when you put it into the graduated cylinder? Also do you have the graduated cylinder full of liquid when you take your reading? If you don't have enough liquid, you won't get an accurate reading.

Reactions: darigoni
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns