• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Less or More?

Barrel Char Wood Products

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Here's a general question: as a meadmaker/homebrewer/homevintner, do you find that you "over-indulge" on your own creations, compared to commercial products:

a.) More often
b.) Less often
c.) About the same
d.) Never

For myself, it's a.) More often (restraint be damned). I had a homebrew friend, though, who, prior to taking up his hobby, was used to imbibing two or three cans of Bud, or whatever, per night after work. Once he was making real beer for himself, he found that one was plenty for him. His beer was great -- I wonder if I'd have been so easily satiated...?

-David

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Mine would be about the same too. I am drinking Mead more often now, but not getting drunk on it more. I would say that I am drinking more commercial meads since I started too, but not "overindulging" any more often on those either.

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
I'd have to say that I'm actually A.... I used to have a beer or a drink of wine once every three or four months. Now it's once a month and we polish off a full bottle between my wife and I.

no1meadwench

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 11, 2004
I would have to say you need to define over indulge.

I enjoy a nice glass of mead more than I have ever enjoyed anything before but the once or three times a week we share a bottle isn't over indilging. We don't drink enough (except twice a year at festival) to get pie eyed...........LOL.

But I do tend to have some more often now that we have the really good stuff made by us.

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
A'ish slightly more often as really now I have a great cyser which is even better than the good ciders I got hooked on in the London thats over the pond. What i found out though was when i came back to canada that my cider chioces were either something floressent green that comes in a hip-looking 2L bottle or strong bow, strong bow or (OH suprise) strong bow. Which I should mension was my least fave of the dozen or so i tried on that trip. But now my consumption is incereased some what (im still not a heavy drinker) in that i actualy have meads and cyders that i'll drink as opposed to just participating in 'drunk watching' the amusing activity of being the only one stone sober in the room and ocasionaly encouraging those less to to amusing antics :)

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
Well, i've just started mead making...

i'd say I drink "more often" but "overinduldge" much less than, say, when i did in college. :O ;)

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I could just about "ditto" ScottS.

I almost never overindulge, but my overall consumption is up. I still drink the occasional microbrewery beer, but very rarely do I drink wine anymore.

I've found that having had mead without sulphites, that I can often taste it in wines and meads that have it.

I like my own mead - so far - but I do try any commercial mead I run across.
So far I'm very partial to the Polish meads Jadwiga and Kasztelanski.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
no1meadwench said:
I would have to say you need to define over indulge.

I enjoy a nice glass of mead more than I have ever enjoyed anything before but the once or three times a week we share a bottle isn't over indilging. We don't drink enough (except twice a year at festival) to get pie eyed...........LOL.

But I do tend to have some more often now that we have the really good stuff made by us.

I suppose pie eyed would be my personal definition of over indulgence, but a better one might be any time that you, in retrospect, wish you'd consumed just a little bit less, or, at least, had not consumed it quite so quickly. My own mead tends to sneak up on me much more easily than commercial stuff does -- beer, wine, mead, or spirits. I mean, quite frankly, I'm proud of myself for making a fine drinkable, and I like the taste. I also tend to make mine strong, so there's the inevitable tendency to pour myself out a tall one that's actually a heck of a lot taller than it looks. My biggest problem tends to be having to wait for the next batch. Then again, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all!

-David

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
Slightly off topic:
(Ok, WAY off topic):

David - I agree completely about really noticing sulfites now. NASTY. I've had many winemakers tell me that it's undetectable - yeah maybe if you've trained your taste buds to think that's what wine tastes like. I've noticed that many commerical meads have the same problem - Redstone (not their reserve) and Jadwiga are two that really slapped me in the face.

If you want a very very nice wine to fill in the gaps between the mead drinking - go to Russo's, same aisle as the mead, same side of the aisle as the mead, 1/2 way down, top shelf, called "Selbach". Two varieties, get the Spaltse. It's a German Reisling, and is BY FAR the best wine I've ever had. $7 on sale. I'm going to have to start buying it by the case. ;D Now my wife is helping me drink it too.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Way off topic reply to ScottS way off topic reply... ;D

Thanks Scott. I'll stop by Russo's tomorrow. My wife loves reistling, and our anniversary (10 years) is comming up next Friday.

Yep - we got married April Fools Day - seemed appropriate some how. ;D

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Now what is over-indulgence again? I definitely consume more of my own homebrew than commercial wine, even knowing that the commercial may be better. There is something about your own drink, something that reflects you yourself, that is so much satisfactory, even if less worldly and refined.

Fortunately I was born with a hard head, and can enjoy more booze than most of my girlfriends, without getting tiddly (I don't go for competing with menfolk). Sometimes a slight buzz, soon dissipating, especially when the meal is especially good and there's lots of going back and forth between table and kitchen. These days, and I'm age 50 so I do pretty much as I please, I pour out a glassful of something around the time I start cooking dinner. A glassful with dinner too. And if there's company, I pour and sip as the fancy takes me. My absentious husband and everyone else who matters to me like fine, so I figure I'm alright. 8)

Miriam

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns