• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mazer Cup International 2011

Barrel Char Wood Products

epetkus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
Thanks gents!

I'm running "low" on competition worthy mead (due to self and friends consumption!), so I'm simply trying to optimize.

I'll see what I can do...!

Eric

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I've taken to bottling at least 8 beer bottles for every mead I do, not just for the sake of competitions, but so that I can sample smaller amounts as it continues to age - in cases where I've bottled early this has saved me a lot of wasted mead!

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm not sure I want the reviews... I know what I like and that's what I try to make, but I don't have a particularly discerning palate and I'm worried that I'd be like a cafeteria cook ending up on Hell's Kitchen... I thought it was great, but nobody else liked it...

I did it last year, first time I ever sent something in, and it was nothing BUT helpful and constructive criticism. If you made something and you think it's good, send it on in!

On a different note, what's the deal with going to this if you aren't a judge?

danidiver

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Oct 27, 2008
Check out the volunteer link on www.mazercup.com. There are a numer of other roles where help is needed for both the home and commercial competition.

The only public event is the paired tasting and that should be worth a trip all by iteself :)

Dani

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
To amplify on what Dani said, we aren't a "full public" event; only the Paired Tasting is open to the public. But we're definitely in need of volunteers, so if you're willing to sign up (and show up) as a volunteer in any of the listed capacities on the volunteers form, then you get to attend the rest of the show!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Does it generally take a while to be contacted if you signed up to volunteer? I'm not really concerned, but haven't been contacted yet so I figured I'd bring it up while we're talking about it.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I think I will actually be done school in time for this, though I don't know the area and I am not qualified to judge, so I suppose that leaves the setup, paperwork, cleaning-type duties. Hm, I think I may just volunteer for this after all once I double check my schedule.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
We will be contacting people as soon as we have a better sense of the number of volunteers and where they will be placed.

Thanks for your patience.

Oskaar

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I've taken to bottling at least 8 beer bottles for every mead I do, not just for the sake of competitions, but so that I can sample smaller amounts as it continues to age - in cases where I've bottled early this has saved me a lot of wasted mead!

Brilliant!

I should try this...but I don't have any beer bottles...plus, how am I gonna cap 'em? I only have a corker.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
We generally break out berry melomels because there are so many entries in this category. The other fruit entries aren't quite as numerous and stand a better chance at a fair evaluation against each other as opposed to berries. Strawberries, while not actually a berry can be entered as a berry 25D.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Brilliant!

I should try this...but I don't have any beer bottles...plus, how am I gonna cap 'em? I only have a corker.

I just borrow a capper from the local home brew store, they give it out free. Make sure to use the beer bottles with a thick lip (the ones that require a cap remover, not the twist off) as they make a better seal.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Good to know...when I get 'round to bottling my largess, I'll put at least 3 or 4 bottles worth of each batch into identical beer bottles in case I end up wanting to send them off to next year's MCI. Plan ahead, I always say.

I don't always do it, but I at least say it. :rolleyes:

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
7 entries should be at your door step on Monday Wayne.

I had extras of the three entries I submitted last year, including the really good mead from Mead Free or Die, and the other really good mead for Mazers Cup. I hope they aged well in the bottle and if not oh well.

Moderated by Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
7 entries should be at your door step on Monday Wayne.

I had extras of the three entries I submitted last year, including the really good mead from Mead Free or Die, and the other really good mead for Mazers Cup. I hope they aged well in the bottle and if not oh well.

Moderated by Oskaar

Heya Yabodie!

I had to moderate your post so that the other judges that frequent Got Mead wouldn't know what meads you are entering and have any pre-disposition one way or another toward what they may end up judging.

adTHANKSvance,

Oskaar

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Glad you saw it before I did, Oskaar, or I might have had to disqualify myself from judging those categories. :rolleyes:

Seriously, we take that kind of thing very seriously at the Mazer Cup event. In order to preserve absolute anonymity, once the meads arrive here at my place, I will unpack them, but other folks will sort and tag the bottles with random numbers, so that I can't see what numbers go with what meads. We have to preserve the integrity of our judge pool.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns