• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead suddenly got Sulfur Smell

Barrel Char Wood Products

Corasian

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 27, 2019
I have a mead which for the first 3 days of fermentation seems to have gained a sulfur smell to it.
From my understanding, I need to remove the smell any way I can so I shook it till I can not smell the sulfur in it anymore.
I want to understand if this is normal or what I have done to produce it as well as the consequences of the smell being produced. As this is my 3rd attempted so far and this is the first time I have come across this

So to explain what I did in this during yeast hydration I added 11g of go-ferm and 100ml of water at about 40C and the yeast 8g Mangrove Jacks R56 (I wanted to try a red wine yeast this time instead of a champagne or white wine) to a stainless steel double-walled flask (to try to make it easier to maintain temperature) then every 15 minutes I added about 100ml of must to it to try to slowly introduce it to the the sugar level in the must after about an hour I added that to the must. My must consisted of 3.34Kg which was then topped up with water till it had a gravity fo 1.096. Then for the next 3 days, I added 3g of Fermaid-A on each day. On day 4 I smelled the sulfur smell. My temperature control may be been quite terrible as well I haven't really been able to keep track of it but I suspect it has been fluctuating between 14C and about 25C.

m0n5t3r

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 24, 2018
Romania
You didn't tell us what's in the must; my cysers (meads with apple juice instead of water) with the yeast I have at my disposal tend to smell sulfur-y for 2-3 days in the beginning, no matter the temperature; it goes away long before fermentation is done.

So, I wouldn't worry unless the smell gets worse / lasts more than a few days, that would indicate the yeast being stressed by something (most likely not temperature, 25C is not that hot).

Corasian

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 27, 2019
My must is literally just honey and water.

I decided to just tip it between carboys to try to release as much of the sulfur as I can which caused a horribly bad smell to get released but it does not seem to have returned after a day.

Thanks

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns