• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead with just Hops?

Barrel Char Wood Products

jpog

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2012
What is a mead with just hops but no malt extract called? Just curious

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI

Don't know if it has an actual name (though I'm sure someone came up with one since the last decade has produced a growing list of Mead styles) but I know it tastes great. I have a Sweet Hopped Mead and a Dry Hopped Mead aging right now. It's still young but the taste testing has me favoring the dry right now

BrewinNColorado

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder County, Colorado

mfalenski is correct, it is just a metheglin

just curious, how do you plan on hopping the mead? I ask because boiling will cause the bitterness, so you'll have to back-sweeten it to counter. If you dry-hop it, then you get the flavor and the aroma without the bitterness.

A good example of a dry-hopped mead is Redstone's Nectar of the Hops...
Medium Sweet
8% Alcohol
5 parts Clover honey, 1 part Wildflower honey
Carbonated
Dry hopped! Food Pairings: Mild cheeses, barbeque, seafood and more!

jpog

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2012
So how do you dry hop the mead..just add the hops to the 2nd stage fermentor and let it soak in it for months before racking it to bottles?

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
This list says it's a miodomel. Don't think it's a well known term though.

http://www.solorb.com/mead/

Like I said earlier I think some of the names are more modern inventions because people just have to have a name for what they are making. My guess is everything other than Mead, Sack Mead, Hippocras, Methlegin, Melomel, Pyment, Cyser and Braggot or more modern invention but I have no info to back up my assumption.

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
Well, if we all get to make up words for our various types of meads, I'm calling all of mine Laurelomels, meaning "mead made by Laurel".

jpog

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2012
How many onces should you use per gallon, I also assume you can't use pellets, correct?

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
How many onces should you use per gallon, I also assume you can't use pellets, correct?

You can use pellets, whenever I use them I just put them in a hop bag with plenty of room for expansion. Even if you don't use the bag they'll eventually settle to the bottom. How much depends on how much flavor you want to get out of it. 1/4 oz should be enough for a bit of hop in a 1 gallon batch (I boiled 1/4 oz in a little bit of water for an hour to get some bitterness and than I split another 1/4 oz between the last 15 minutes [flavor hops] and when I turned off the heat [aroma hops]. I used another 1/2 oz dry hopping and it's pretty hoppy at the moment). 1 oz for a 5 gallon batch seems like the amount you see a lot in beer recipes that call for dry hopping, but that also takes into account that hops were added earlier.

paraordnance

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 16, 2011
I very interested in trying to dry hop experimental 1 gal batch of traditional I have. I heard 0.5 oz per gallon is a good number. I also read somewhere that Cascades work great. But, pellets or cones? I have a pound of Citra hops on the way, I wonder if they also a good choice for dry hopping mead? :rolleyes:

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I very interested in trying to dry hop experimental 1 gal batch of traditional I have. I heard 0.5 oz per gallon is a good number. I also read somewhere that Cascades work great. But, pellets or cones? I have a pound of Citra hops on the way, I wonder if they also a good choice for dry hopping mead? :rolleyes:

Any Hop can be used for Dry Hopping you just need to find one that has a flavor and aroma profile that you find pleasing. Many people love the citrusy flavor and aroma given off by Cascades which is one of the reasons they are one of the most popular hop varieties out there. You'll usually (but not always) see lower Alpha Acid hops used for dry hopping as Higher Alpha Hops can provide the nice Bitterness that comes out when hops are boiled. Citra with an Alpha Acid of on Average 12% are usually considered a Bittering Hop, but will work fine for Dry Hopping and are described as having a Gooseberry or Passion Fruit flavor.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Whole hops are a little easier to use when dry hopping since they are large and easy to not transfer when racking (although the seeds sometimes float around independently). Pellet hops are nice for boiling because they don't hold as much liquid when you're emptying the boil kettle. But either can be used, the differences are marginal IMO.

Alpha acid content doesn't matter for dry hopping, you won't get any of those to dissolve without boiling. All you want is a hop variety that smells nice. If you like fruity citrus aroma, you can use one of the Cs (e.g. cascade). Piney/herbal, earthy, floral, etc are other aromas you might find in other varieties.

New2mead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 29, 2012
Lansing, MI
Well, if we all get to make up words for our various types of meads, I'm calling all of mine Laurelomels, meaning "mead made by Laurel".

I like that! Rolls right off the tongue. 'Course, you'll have to send some to all of us so we can start using the name right away.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns