• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Moses Cook (1717)Birch Water Mead Recipe

randrick

NewBee
Registered Member
Sap runs when day temps are above freezing, and night temps below freezing. After checking the weather, it looks like the last week of February and the first week of March are when your trees were flowing this year.

If birch are anything like maple, once the buds start to open, the sap will taste..well, like leaves. There is also a minor flow in the fall so you might be able to get enough then.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I think the sap should be running in the Ottawa area now, we've been above freezing during the day and below freezing at night :)

... and still plenty of snow to chill things when the sun goes down.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Nope, not me personally (I live in a condo townhouse, no trees for me), but there are a lot of sugar bushes in the area.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
HooWee! I'm a NewBee!

Drats!
Turns out the tree I thought was a birch is actually a silver poplar, so it doesn't look like I'll be gettin' any birchwater this Spring...

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Have been reading a book by Mors Kochanski ( Bush Craft )
This is a wilderness survival book from our friends to the north
of our border, my family's origin Canada!

Well, of all things I find an ancient mead recipe dating from 1717 8)

To every Gallon of Birch-Water put a quart of honey well stilled together, then boil it almost an hour with a few cloves, and a little lemon-pel,keeping it well scum'd; when it is sufficiently boil'd and become cold, add to it three or four spoonfuls of good ale, to make it work, which it will do like new ale; and when the yeast begins to settle, bottle it up as you do other winery liquors, it will in a competent time become a most brisk and spirituous drink, which is a very powerful opener - Moses Cook (1717), The Manner of Raising, Ordering and Improving Forest-Trees.

Hope you have enjoyed it,

TB

FYI................

I have been reading a historical ( SYLVA ) " A discourse of Forest - Trees "
by John Evelyn 1663. :eek:

It seems that Moses Cook has found this recipe of Birch Water Mead from this writing. It is almost word for word wrote here! Evelyn speaks to the fact that a Fair Lady had sent this recipe to him? So in fact this must predate 1663 as a known alcoholic drink. Sad that the fair lady is not mentioned by name so that we might trace it to it's origin. If you care to read this in it's entirety as to the benefits of the Birch sap and methods of extraction you may look to this link and start on page 32 - 34.

http://www.cider.org.uk/frameset.htm

Regards,

TB

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Thanks for the link TB!

TA,

Your most welcome!
If and when you read this pay close attention to the information