• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

n00b+62 lbs honey+Mead book ::help::

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members
P

Pawn

Hey folks,
I found a small jar of Acacia honey at the local "world market", this honey is great thank you for opening my eyes, I always thought honey was just honey and never realized there would be so much differance in the varieties.

I havent been able to pester you folks much lately, as we are in the middle of what looks to be a great fall harvest, Cheers...John

P

Pawn

Brewbear said:
Hi,
This link is to a web page describing all of the various yeasts, well most of them. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp
As far as D-47 is concerned, 72 deg.F should be good. The temps in my neck of the woods are in high 70's with the A/C going full blast but I had to start 2 5 gal batches. One is a show mead with only honey, water and yeast (K1-V the temp range is much higher).

Hope it helps,
Ted
Hi Ted,
Thanks for the link, Im learning as I go :)
The Mead is still chuggin along, 1 blip every 4 seconds, I checked the gravity 09-22-05 and was at 1.034, been gently swirling every morning and every evening, and replaced the clogged airlock twice in the last week.

I wish you well with your new mead ferments, when things settle down a bit (work) I will try the K1-V as well.
Finally cooler weather, the ales are clearing nicely in secondary, best to you...John

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hey John,
Keep in mind that even though the literature places D-47 at 14% alcohol tolerance, my experience with it tells me that it runs closer to 15 -16% alcohol. K1-V will run to 18% alcohol almost every time and if fed in stages it will go to 20%. This will tend to require a longer aging time.

Have fun,
Ted

P

Pawn

Thank you Ted,
I sampled the mead yesterday (10-01-05), the gravity was at 1.015 with 8 blips per minute, 15.22% ABV if my calculations are correct,
there is a lot of honey flavor, the sweetness suits me fine although hot alcohol makes it difficult for a newbee like me to get a good idea what it might taste like a year from now.

Today (10-02-05), hey this thing is coming in for a landing, 4-5 blips per minute, I am rather ancious, in hopes of racking to secondary tomorow (new moon).

I will be starting another batch (#2), this time with a OG of 1.120, the sediment from a one gallon 1.060 starter of lalvin D-47, and no nutrients just honey, water, and yeast (I did use a little DME in the starter).

Thanks folks, I hope all is well with everyone, Cheers...John

::edit:: I did some reading in this awesome forum, and it looks like I will relax and rack this mead when the primary ferment has ceased, who knows maybe next month;)

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Pawn said:
there is a lot of honey flavor, the sweetness suits me fine although hot alcohol makes it difficult for a newbee like me to get a good idea what it might taste like a year from now.
Some of us who've been doing it for a few years are not much better off in the prediction department, let me tell you! Time is simply magic to a mead. You're likely to be very impressed at the change, but predicting its progress is like reading tea leaves -- nice if you can do it, but most of us just have to wait and see.

-David

P

Pawn

lostnbronx, I understand, I imagine if I ever get to a point where I can judge a mead at a young age, it will probably no longer be a priority ;D , thanks for the kind words!

Finally racked the #1 mead to secondary today, there was 2 blips per min out of the airlock, the gravity @ 64f was @ 1.008, If my calcs are correct giving a ABV of 16.14%.

The smell from the airlock was of garbage :p the sample in the hydrometer jar lost its foul smell after airing for a few minutes :-\

The honey sweetness is no longer so obvious, same hot taste accompanied by a slight bitterness (acid taste)which really lingers.

One blip every 2 mins in secondary, the yeast will hopefully crap out soon.

Whelp, off to start a 5 gallon batch of Joe's ancient orange, cheers...John

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
I REALLY want to know how this one turned out.

Does anyone remember this guy? Oskaar, do you know how this turned out?

Jonas

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
This thread is over 5 years old...I doubt anyone involved is still active enough to enlighten you as to the result. That's the problem with reviving dead/old threads...it's pointless.

Try PMing the person who started this. Who knows, he might respond. In general though, I'd stay away from posting to a thread over 2 years old. It's hardly ever worth it.

Edit: just realized the person posting isn't even a member...so...maybe you can't PM them...

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
This thread is over 5 years old...
*sigh*

I know this thread is five years old, BUT if you read the very first original posts, guess who... Oskaar! And one or two others that I recognize. I knew I couldn't pm the guy, because I can see he's not a member or I wouldn't have revived this thread at all.

Jonas

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I understand...and I guess I should apologize for being such a "Debbie Downer". I've had similar inquiries to threads less than 2 years old, started by a mentor, and I can say that you'll rarely get a reply. Especially with something like this, where the thread/recipe is in someone else's log book.

Unless this person sent out samples to Oskaar, I doubt he remembers/has the time to go looking for notes on this. Between running the site, job, and setting up for the Mazer Cup, I too would be exhausted.

Again, I didn't mean to discourage your pursuit of info, just trying to be realistic. :)

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members