• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

National Mead Day

Barrel Char Wood Products

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
So I need to make sure at least one bottle of my JAOM I have brewing now lives till then. and I need to start a full 5 gallon batch that day. (I'm sure I will have started another batch before then)

I hope you've started another batch or five in the next 4 months :eek:

ChadK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2012
Commerce City, CO
I hope you've started another batch or five in the next 4 months :eek:

I'd love to. But it's money right now as I'm currently between jobs. And the first thing I'm gonna get going when I have some spare money is another beer, cause my last one got infected and is now getting used to make malt vinegar. But after that, I'm totally getting some fermentation buckets and starting a mead or 3.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I'd love to. But it's money right now as I'm currently between jobs. And the first thing I'm gonna get going when I have some spare money is another beer, cause my last one got infected and is now getting used to make malt vinegar. But after that, I'm totally getting some fermentation buckets and starting a mead or 3.

Yeah, I know that feeling as well. Got laid off almost a year ago when the company closed it's doors (well, had moved those doors to Mexico) and it has hurt the fermentation levels that are going on in the house, especially once I ran out of my last bulk purchase. Now I'm down to starting 3 to 5 gallons a month compared to the 10 to 20 that I used to get going. Getting some free money in August (college grant refund) and it is going towards catching up on some bills, 5 gallons of OB Honey, 5 Gallons of Widflower or Clover Honey, a Gallon of Meadowfoam Honey and a Gallon of something else. Might pick up another 3 and 5 Gallon carboy as well.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Not to change the subject or anything, but why do we skip even numbers. Straight to odds...

Those poor, poor evens... :(

I truly don't know why that is. The evens do get some love when I watch TV, because for some reason I become OCD and I can not have the volume on an odd number.

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
I truly don't know why that is. The evens do get some love when I watch TV, because for some reason I become OCD and I can not have the volume on an odd number.

Well, as long as they're not completely ignored...

also, that reminds me. I've got a friend who, whenever listening to the radio, has to have the volume at intervals of 5 (i.e, 5, 10, 15, etc). He's been that way for years

JSquared

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
So this is coming up again on Aug 4. Anyone have any special plans?
I’m in contact with one of the breweries here in town trying to organize a mead demonstration at the brewery. I think it would be really cool to present and get the word out there about mead.

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
I just recently found out my wife has been invited to her sister-in-law's baby shower that day, so we will be down in connecticut... away from my mead making abilities.

BUT, I'll spend time with my dad while she does that baby thing. So that's never a bad thing.

dingurth

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 23, 2012
Brooklyn , NY
I have my strawberry jao variant I plan to blow through, and hopefully my jao original will finish clearing by then. It's going to be a good night.

mfalenski

Worker Bee
Registered Member
We wanted to do a Mead Day event at our place (Laurel Highlands Meadery) this year, but anything organized at our place is a bust as there is nothing even close to organization here!

We expected to have a retail location by August, but instead we bought a small farm and are now working on converting the barn. I'll cross my fingers and say next year!

We will toast and drink mead though!

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
I'm planning a couple batches. Got 20# of cranberries still in the freezer. I'll do a traditional too. Might be in Germantown WI at our beer club brewery. If not, somewhere within 30 miles. ;-)

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
My wife and I are doing a mead day event at our mead making supply store (ok, not just mead supplies... homebrew supplies too). We aren't making the exact recipe that the AHA suggests but something fairly similar. We're doing 5 gallons of traditional mead with 14 lbs of Washington state wildflower honey.

If any of you are in the Seattle area and want to attend, drop me a note and I'll send you an evite.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns