• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Nemesis Belgian Quintupel

Barrel Char Wood Products

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Nemesis.
The theoretical companion star to our sun though to cause mass extinction events. It is hypothesized that Nemesis periodically blows through our solar system smashing everything in its wake....

Much like Nemesis, this Belgian Quintupel is both theoretically exists and will smash anyone in its wake!

Nemesis Belgian Quintuple
5 gallons - Partial Mash
1.114OG → 1.020FG
12.3%ABV
46 IBU (Balance 1.03)
6.9°L SRM

Specialty Grains
8 oz Rye
4 oz Crystal 20L
4 oz Aromatic
4 oz Special Roast
-Mash at 150 F for 30 minutes; Allow to drain and discard.

Fermentables
16.5 pounds Pilsen LME
3 pounds Honey (at flameout)
-Boil for 1 hour with the following hop schedule.

Hops
Sterling hops - 1 ounce at 60 min.
Fuggles hops - 1 ounce at 60 min.
Sterling hops - 1 ounce at 30 min.
Fuggles hops - 1 ounce at 30 min.
Whirlfloc Tablet - 15 minutes
Wort Chiller - 15 minutes
Fuggles hops- 2 ounces at Flameout
Sterling hops - 1 ounce at Flameout

Yeast
Wyeast 1388 - 2 liter starter

Ferment to FG of 1.02.
Use prime dose for carbonation.

Day -3
5/14/14

Time to make starter!

2 Liter Starter for Beer

Add the following to a 2 liter flask:
1 tsp Fermaid K, 1/2 cup of Golden DME and one cross shaped stir bar.
Add water to 1000 ml.
Bring to a boil for 15 minutes with tin foil covering.
Add cold sterile water to 1.8 liter final volume.
Allow to cool completely.
Pitch smack pack of yeast.
Allow to stir on stir plate stirring for 3 days.

Better brewing through science!

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
What exactly to you do with your starter? Do you leave it at a highish temperature? Or do you keep it at fermentation temps? Do you drop the yeast and decant the liquid or just add the whole thing? Also, 3 days sounds long to me for leaving a starter going, but I've never tried it for that long so I can't really say anything from experience. I've had good luck with just letting my starters go for 18-24 hours at ferment temps and then adding the whole thing. My theory is that while this doesn't maximize the number of yeast pitched it does multiply them a fair amount and gets them into their full frenzy stage. At any rate, the results have been good, which I'm guessing you'll be saying about the 3-day starter as well.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
What exactly to you do with your starter? Do you leave it at a highish temperature? Or do you keep it at fermentation temps? Do you drop the yeast and decant the liquid or just add the whole thing? Also, 3 days sounds long to me for leaving a starter going, but I've never tried it for that long so I can't really say anything from experience. I've had good luck with just letting my starters go for 18-24 hours at ferment temps and then adding the whole thing. My theory is that while this doesn't maximize the number of yeast pitched it does multiply them a fair amount and gets them into their full frenzy stage. At any rate, the results have been good, which I'm guessing you'll be saying about the 3-day starter as well.

The starter is left stirring on a stir plate at fermentation temperature. The 3 days maximizes the number of yeast as well as acclimates them to a higher alcohol contest.

Using this method, I am consistently able to take 1.100 gravity beers to 1.015 in 3 days! I'm hoping that it will drive this beers gravity down as far as possible.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400366922.810242.jpg

Day 0

Cooking side by side with pulled pork. If it has notes of mesquite, we know why.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
SG is 1.124.
That's right.
This is a mans beer.
Or my wife's beer.
More dear?
Fun is near.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Day 1
Bubbling furiously away with about 8 inches of krausen. Can't even see the hydrometer!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Day 32
This beer/Braggot finished at 1.02 (13.6%!). I say Braggot because the OB came through a lot more than I thought it would. Not a bad thing to mead maker!

Bottled and carbonated with 5 tablets of Prime Dose per liter. Now to wait.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Forgot to post the label:

usu5uny2.jpg

2upytyqu.jpg

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Month 3

Prost!
ubu3udut.jpg

I had two wine glasses of this and I'm DONE. So wonderfully good, but it's like a sedative and muscle relaxer rolled into one beautiful, tasty package.

Last edited:

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Month 5

This beer/Braggot is absolutely wonderful. You taste no alcohol and it is surprisingly light. Five sips later, you have a buzz.

It is wonderfully effervescent. The orange blossom honey and malt are equally intense. Perfect balance of hop bitterness and sweetness.

This recipe is a keeper!

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
If you want to go to a good Octoberfest but don't want to travel all the way to Munich go to Kitchener, Ontario. They have the largest Octoberfest outside of Munich with dance halls everywhere. For the locals it's a pain in the ass, huge crowds, tons of people that usually don't drink getting hammered beyond belief and road blocks looking for impaired drivers but it's still a blast if you've never gone festing before.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Month 9

Mission accomplished. So good when it touches the lips. Light colored massive beer that breaks traditional genres. I get lots of OB honey on the nose with just enough hops to compliment the honey nose and balance the malty sweetness. The spiciness of the rye/hops is really starting to come through nicely. It goes down a bit too easy for 13.6%!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422826925.426748.jpg
Prost!

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns