• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

new auto siphone hole! Did I just make Vinegar?

Barrel Char Wood Products

griff_consortium

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 15, 2006
Just got my new auto siphon, looked great but did not really look close to see two pin holes at the top of the cane! Cleaned it dropped it into my Orange spice mead and 2 plunges on the auto siphon and I was in business! Unfortunately a few minutes into the racking I noticed a slight bubbling sound (had ringing in my ears from the range earlier) and look up to see the bubbles going into my carboy. Nice. I grabbed the cane and saw a hole actually two small holes that I put my finger on them and continued. Day two, my mead(?) is clearing well with the finnings I used (superclear IIRC) Ok so day three I gently lift the plug and smell...well It no longer smells harsh or yeasty as before. It has the spiced orange smell sort of. I used a thief and the burn that I tasted 3 days ago is gone, now it takes longer to feel warmth. It doesn't smell like vinegar but doesnt smell harsh either. Might I have a slight oxymel or is this gingerly going to turn to vinegar after I bottle? Damn it if it does as that was expensive and nice honey.
This turns to vinegar and I quit using honey forever, too expensive.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I suppose we can't know for sure yet, but I really doubt you just killed your batch. A few bubbles, while not something you want to add on purpose, aren't going to spoil it all by themselves. Worry not, mead is forgiving.

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
It will only turn to vinegar over a period of time when exposed. You can take a raking cane or the inside of your syphon and slowly and GENTELY stir. that wil dislodge any gas held in suspension but not stir new stuff in.

Honey is too expensive? Its one of the cheapest fermentables out there. wine kits are $60+ that I have seen. Beer is $25 - $30 for the ingrediants. Even at whole foods prices of $2.3 a lb its $40. The online sources sell it for $1.50 or less. Thats cheaper then a batch of beer.

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
beer tends to cost me about $30-$40 a batch for an extract brew.... honey around here is around 25-28 per gallon. so around $30-$50 per batch is about right for mead, for me anyways....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns