• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

No Fail Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
I was wondering, With all the different types of mead & recipes,
Has anyone ever come up with a No Fail Mead recipe?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
The closest thing to foolproof is probably Joe's Ancient Orange (JAO). It comes the closest to no-fail because the directions are basic - just mix it up, airlock it, and let it be until the yeast give up and the mead clears. Hard to get much simpler than that.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
+1 on JAO, it really is pretty idiot-proof. Unless you mess with it and don't follow all the instructions (I'm an idiot, I admit it).

greenbucks

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2011
Like what everyone's said, you can't get it any easier than JAOM. Otherwise the next best thing would simply be buying yourself a bottle of mead.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I have made JAOM before.
I find it has a strong orange peal taste.

The peel taste comes from the pith, or white part of the orange.

Several things that can do this.

#1 if you adjusted the recipe and didn't add enough honey it will come out too dry and the pith will be overpowering.

#2 If you used a wine yeast instead of bread yeast it will pump up the ABV as well as making it drier, and will cause the same problem (but take even longer to age out)

#3 Not so much a cause but effect. The pith taste will eventually age out. Give it some time sitting in a dark closet. Start with at least 6 months from pitch date. If that isn't enough try 1 year from pitch date. It just keeps getting better!

#4 If you want it to still be ready sooner and not worry about aging so much, try zesting and peeling half the orange(s) you use. If still not up to taste try a little more aging, or simply zest and peel all the orange(s).

#5 If you want to get really technical with a JAO, take a starting gravity reading and a finishing gravity reading. Sample some, if not up to your standards, back-sweeten some. Keep back-sweetening until it matches what you want. Take an SG reading.

The first set of readings tell you about what you can expect your bread yeast to do in terms of point drop in SG. This will allow you to calculate where your OG should be in future batches to achieve your preferred FG.

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
The peel taste comes from the pith, or white part of the orange.

Several things that can do this.

#1 if you adjusted the recipe and didn't add enough honey it will come out too dry and the pith will be overpowering.

#2 If you used a wine yeast instead of bread yeast it will pump up the ABV as well as making it drier, and will cause the same problem (but take even longer to age out)

#3 Not so much a cause but effect. The pith taste will eventually age out. Give it some time sitting in a dark closet. Start with at least 6 months from pitch date. If that isn't enough try 1 year from pitch date. It just keeps getting better!

#4 If you want it to still be ready sooner and not worry about aging so much, try zesting and peeling half the orange(s) you use. If still not up to taste try a little more aging, or simply zest and peel all the orange(s).

#5 If you want to get really technical with a JAO, take a starting gravity reading and a finishing gravity reading. Sample some, if not up to your standards, back-sweeten some. Keep back-sweetening until it matches what you want. Take an SG reading.

The first set of readings tell you about what you can expect your bread yeast to do in terms of point drop in SG. This will allow you to calculate where your OG should be in future batches to achieve your preferred FG.

Per gallon I used 3.5 lbs of clover honey & 1 packet of fleshmens yeast.
Added correct spices & wrapped jug in bath towel & tucked away in closet for 6 months, Undisturbed!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Well, if you just don't like orange very much it might be a little overpowering, even once the bitterness is gone. +1 on the suggestion to just use the zest and the fruit, I don't make JAO with the pith anymore since it gives me heartburn, but if you skip the zest, you get almost no orange flavour... I think there's a whole thread on JAO variations, some good suggestions on there. My favourite is using 12 ounces of crushed blackberries instead of the orange, I also either skip the spices or substitute some allspice berries in for the clove. Your mileage may vary, but that's my "always do" recipe.

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
Well, if you just don't like orange very much it might be a little overpowering, even once the bitterness is gone. +1 on the suggestion to just use the zest and the fruit, I don't make JAO with the pith anymore since it gives me heartburn, but if you skip the zest, you get almost no orange flavour... I think there's a whole thread on JAO variations, some good suggestions on there. My favourite is using 12 ounces of crushed blackberries instead of the orange, I also either skip the spices or substitute some allspice berries in for the clove. Your mileage may vary, but that's my "always do" recipe.

Thank You, I will try that next time.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
it sounds liek you did it right then.

I zest & de-pith about 1/2 the oranges in mine since the pith does offset a bit of the sweetness. It makes a huge difference.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns