• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Of nutrients and Europe

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Only when I am planning to go to Chicago. Mannye once offered to be a conduit for people. Morewine will not ship internationally. For what its worth, I've not had issues with the European DAP and nutrients.
Hum ? I think you might be mixing up Morewine with Midwest Doug......

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?partnerid=gplp0&pid=5973221571754163618&oid=102827037229498519256

I know that Midwest are a PITA about international sales/shipping.

As for AB Vickers, their website doesn't seem to list any wine supplies, either under their name or Lallemand, just beer stuff..... Not sure whether they'd even respond as to whether they know of any other supplier of Lallemand stuff in the UK, might email them to see......
photos

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Yeast is in vacuum packed, sealed packages.... not exactly a threat... And yeah FB, see that caution on the precious D21 that says to use in 6 months? That's why I use only a teaspoon in a starter, and was thrilled to learn you could freeze it, which I have done with the unopened (and opened) packages...

...and yeah, pity about AB Vickers.... we mead makers could use their presence...

Last edited:

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
I just checked into it and morewine will ship internationally, but the rate starts at $44. Even if it is just one packet of yeast!
It used to be that you couldn't get an accurate shipping quote because their dumb website would only list FedEx and UPS (thieving scum IMO), but if you're not in a rush and mail to ask first I understand they will also ship via USPS - not the quickest but a lot cheaper. I got a gallon of honey from Oklahoma and the shipping was "only" 70$, not bad for what ? 4 kg ? Something like that.......

Last edited:

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'm sending some mead to kudupcat and sneaking in a bag of FermK in the box. Let's see what happens.

MourneMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 6, 2013
Northern Ireland
$70 is still £40 though, which is quite a lot. Sources of large volumes of reasonably priced honey are even more difficult here where transportation tends to be two trips over water - if the source is Europe.

Local bee keepers aren't shy at asking for a good price either...

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
You'd better hope that there's no smell similarity between FermaidK and the more nefarious mystery powders......... I'd be able to hear the click of the handcuffs :D

Ha! If I tell you it doesn't, it would implicate me, so I'll just say I hope not. ;)

loetz

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2014
Austria
Well, I guess I won't be ordering from The Home Brew Shop UK anymore. They changed their policy and now they won't ship any more than 1kg a time to continental Europe. On top of that, they're using an expensive shipping service which costs 15 pounds for 0-1kg of weight. I emailed them to ask if they could put a few yeast packs in an envelope and they said no in a fairly unfriendly manor.

I imagine that this change comes from their inability to pack a box. I ordered something from them once before and it had zero insulation. In fact, they put a big thing of iodophor right on top and it got smashed and opened up all over everything. When I emailed them about it, they were quite unfriendly. Since they've changed their policy, I imagine they've had problems when shipping to other customers.

Oh well, I like the service I get from hop & grape. I'll just have to keep using them.

Last edited:

loetz

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2014
Austria
I messaged Mel over at Hop and Grape and she is willing to stock Fermaid and GoFerm for us if we really want it.

Plus, she will mail yeast in an envelope!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'm always willing to help out if things get difficult. So just let me know!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
I messaged Mel over at Hop and Grape and she is willing to stock Fermaid and GoFerm for us if we really want it.

Plus, she will mail yeast in an envelope!
Be very handy if tbey did keep it. Pretty sure that once the word got round they'd sell enough.

Hell if I knew where to get a bulk bag, I'd happily stick it in the post for cost.....

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Be very handy if tbey did keep it. Pretty sure that once the word got round they'd sell enough.

Hell if I knew where to get a bulk bag, I'd happily stick it in the post for cost.....

I'll send an email to Lalvin, makers of Fermaid K (and the other letters) and see if there isn't a local distributor that might want to sell me a multi-kilo bag of the stuff.

Might not be cheap for one person, but if three or four or more of you got together it might make it worthwhile. I'm more than happy to do the legwork/packing if you guys pay the freight.

I bet just a pound of that stuff will go a long way. I buy it in 80 gram bags and it lasts a while. 28x16 (assuming 28 grams to an ounce) ::pauses to let the Miami Vice jokes come and go...:: 448ish grams should be enough for a whole lot of mead for 5 or 6 blokes. Yeah?

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Potassium sorbate and potassium carbonate would be good....can't find that at all over here

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns