• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Off flavors in young mead...Traditional vs Melomel.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mikek

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2019
Wondering if anyone with more experience than me can answer this relatively vague question.. I have made 3 batches so far.. Two Melomels and 1 Trad. The two melomels tasted surprisingly good upon going into secondary.. The Trad was racked to secondary yesterday and had something off about it.. Almost a touch sour, maybe a bit yeasty tasting.. No sulfur or spoiled type odors or flavors but certainly not a pleasant drinking experience.. I know age is vital to these meads but is the fruit the main reason the Melomels were more palatable early on? and is it normal for a Trad to have some of those off flavors prior to back sweetening/aging/clearing and bulk aging?

Thanks for any advice.. Going to leave it be a long while regardless and not try chasing it to "fix" it but wanted to see what others thought.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi Mikek - and welcome to the forum. You don't really provide us with enough detailed information for anyone to offer constructive suggestions but my understanding is that you are most likely to produce a yeasty flavored mead when you pitch too few viable yeast cells and so stress the cells you did pitch with far too much sugar to ferment. Now, if your pitching rate is the same for the melomels as for the trad the simple fact that the melomels have other flavor characteristics may be enough to mask or hide this problem.. Of course, if you pitch an appropriate colony size for the volume of must and the starting gravity then you can dismiss my first thoughts..

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
This is exactly why I promote making trads when you start until you can make good ones every time. This will raise the bar for everything else you will ever make. You can't hide mistakes in a trad. But you do in melomels and other styles.

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
This is exactly why I promote making trads when you start until you can make good ones every time. This will raise the bar for everything else you will ever make. You can't hide mistakes in a trad. But you do in melomels and other styles.

That's exactly why I'm dead-set on making a perfect traditional in as short an amount of time as possible before I start playing with other things. I've now learned so much about mead, it's not even funny. Nothing too technical, but mostly hands-on experience, and that's irreplaceable.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns