• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oskaar Boycotting St. Pat's Brewing Supplies

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
North Carolina? Not much. It's cold and wet around here.

Vicky <-- who lives in NC (Oskaar, on the other hand, was talking about Northern Ca*iforn*ia)

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Q: What does PHD stand for?

A: Piled Higher and Deeper ;)

Anthony

Geoffrey Johnson

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 29, 2005
What I don't get, apart from how to read words found in 4th grade US goegraphy classes, is why a person with a PHD is filling the role of a customer service representative. Granted, I would like to get somebody on the phone who knows what they are talking about...but I kinda doubt it's gonna be a person with that many letters following his name. Perhaps he meant PHD, as in PHull of Dookey?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
LOL! Yeah, I didn't realize that the requisite education level for being a telemarketer had become so stringent. :eek:

As someone else pointed out below anyone who starts throwing around their academic prowess is usually full of dookey!

Oskaar

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
Hey Oskaar,

I ordered some big fermenters from St Pats about a year and a half ago. They didn't treat me quite like crap, but I got the distinct impression that since I was only spending 4 figures worth of cash rather than 6, that I was kind of wasting their time. I'll gladly join your boycott. :)

Shipping from TX is a killer anyway.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I listed Oskaar as a trusted source, that Scmrak post sounds like a sales pitch from an employee, or having lived in Texas... someone who is good friends with the owner.

Wrathwilde

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Oskaar,

Don't forget a complaint to the Better Business Bureau -- a small stone in this day and age, true, but a venerable one.

Also a letter to your state's Consumer Protection Agency, with a carefully worded complaint about St. Pat's selling a "possibly dangerous" cleaning agent "marketed for use in a food-grade capacity", about which they "actively refused to give proper information", and which therefore sent off warning bells in your head.

Finally -- and this one is extreme, but possibly quite amusing -- a call to the Department of Homeland Security, once again, well-thought out and carefully measured in tone, which alleges that during your call with this "belligerant fellow who refused to give his name but who claimed to have a PHd -- in chemistry or microbiology or something", in which he made a vague but sinister allusion to "only wanting to deal in large amounts of fermentation supplies -- some of which contain high quantities of nitrogen compounds". You let them fill in the blanks, and maybe add something about an off-hand anti-tax or anti-government comment he made "if memory serves". End up by stating that it was nothing overt, just a vague feeling of unease that you got when dealing with him. If even a minimal and informal investigation is started, the bad rep for customer service and relations might seem like they really don't care about doing business -- which could, in turn, make an agent wonder what they're REALLY doing...?

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Ahh Lostnbrnx,

If only you'd use your mind for good instead of evil! ;)

Evidently someone in Sacramento, CA published a thousand or so flyers about St Pat's and placed them on the windshields of cars in the parking lots at the Unified Wine and Grape Expo in the Downtown Sacramento Convention Center. Coincidentally the flyers were distributed at the same time the family winemakers and producers meeting was being held at the center, so when they went to their cars they would have a copy waiting for them.

Odd how that works. I hear they were on really bright, can't miss at 1000 yards lime green paper too. Ironic.

Cheers,

Oskaar

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
lostnbronx said:
Finally -- and this one is extreme, but possibly quite amusing -- a call to the Department of Homeland Security, once again, well-thought out and carefully measured in tone, which alleges that during your call with this "belligerant fellow who refused to give his name but who claimed to have a PHd -- in chemistry or microbiology or something", in which he made a vague but sinister allusion to "only wanting to deal in large amounts of fermentation supplies -- some of which contain high quantities of nitrogen compounds". You let them fill in the blanks, and maybe add something about an off-hand anti-tax or anti-government comment he made "if memory serves". End up by stating that it was nothing overt, just a vague feeling of unease that you got when dealing with him. If even a minimal and informal investigation is started, the bad rep for customer service and relations might seem like they really don't care about doing business -- which could, in turn, make an agent wonder what they're REALLY doing...?

-David

damn, you just made my jaw drop. and not in a good way, either.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
I have a shrine in my closet, wherein I worship George Hayduke as a god.

Dirty Tricks I, and II were...shall we say...influential in the making of my present personality.

-David

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
Boy I am glad that I read this before deciding what to get and where to get it. if they are that rude with a four figure order, I do not want to see how they would treat a three figure order. It reminds me of Citi Corp. They had a clause in their policy that they will not do business with the firearm industry or any business that does business with the firearm business. A radio talk show host, whose show is broadcast nationally on AM radio, and writes for at least one global gun magazine found out about this. He called them and they confirmed it. On his shows and in his articles he told listeners and readers of this policy. Hate letters with cut up credit cards and other types of account cancelations were sent enmass. After a few months Citi Corp. changed theie policy and semi-publically appologized. Most people probably have not heard of this because it is something that the mainstream media avoids. May the gods grant you great brews.

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
One other thing, my English teacher my senior year in high school had a PhD. Never once did he flaunt it. He barely even mentioned it. He did not hide the fact that major collegges and universities had constantly been offering him great pay and benefits if he left the high school and worked for them. He declined opting to teach high school full time and college part time. May the gods grant you great brews.

SiljanMjod

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Apr 15, 2008
I know this is an old post, and I stumbled upon it quite by accident. But I just wanted to let people know that they have not changed. DO NOT order from these people.

I talked to a woman on the phone just last month (and now that I'm reading this, my guess is that it was Lynn), and I can honestly say I've never been treated so rudely by someone when asking the simplest of questions. They have not changed. If I can help one person to avoid dealing with St. Pats it will be worth it. Too bad I didn't see this before I called.

I left my opinion on epinions.com like some of the other people on this site. I'd encourage others to do the same. Avoid them at all costs.

SM

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
St. Pat's Brewing Supplies - Customer Service Still Sucks Out Loud

It's never the wrong time to point out sh!tty customer service and St. Pat's is the archtype in shabby, hamhanded, arrogant, effeet, boorish, snobby and unprofessional treatment of one time customers (I say one time because they manage to chase people away by the droves). They suck out loud, always have, always will.

If it comes down to having your gums scraped with no anesthesia, or dealing with St. Pat's, go for the gum scraping! At least you'll get professional treatment and a thank you.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns