• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Racking: Frugal vs foolhardy

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ben_N

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 23, 2014
Howdy all. Just did my first racking of my third batch (first in five years) and it's clear I need a longer racking cane. I may have borrowed a proper cane from a friend last time while mine may have been purchased for the first 1 gallon batches I got started with years ago. Anyway, I lost siphon with about 2.5 inch left in my 3 gallon Better Bottle carboy. I sanitized a pitcher with Starsan and poured in the remainder from the fermenter, covered with saran wrap and am letting the lees settle. Seems like a lot to waste from a 3 gallon batch, but am I just asking for trouble by trying to rack this remainder from the pitcher into my batch after it settles?

Thanks

Ben

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I doubt that there should be any concern. Mead seems to be less likely to oxidize at the drop of a hat than fruit wines and fruit wines don't oxidize that easily to begin with. It's beer that tends to spoil even as you blink and I suspect that wine makers learned much from brewers despite the fact that honey is not grain. If you sanitize your equipment and tools and you are not making barrels of mead for your own consumption that will take you decades to drink then I suspect that racking from this container won't be a problem BUT if you ARE anxious about it. Simply rack it into a separate vessel and allow it to age separately, bottling it separately too when the time comes... But that is like wearing a belt and braces (suspenders) as we used to say in Scotland.

Reactions: Bud
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns