• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Raspberries pushing out the airlock

Barrel Char Wood Products

Utah_Monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2018
Second time trying to post this, first time didn't seem to stick.

recipe: 3.4lbs honey
1gal water
1 pkg Lalvin D47 yeast.
4 cups raspberries.
OG was 1.112

After making the mead the raspberries float to the top blocking the outgassing, causing the airlock and stopper to pop out.
How can I prevent this from happening or should I just rack this into a separate container already. It's been less than 24hours.
I did leave around 3 inches of air gap between the Must and top of the carboy.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver

1gal water
1 pkg Lalvin D47 yeast.
4 cups raspberries.
OG was 1.112

After making the mead the raspberries float to the top blocking the outgassing, causing the airlock and stopper to pop out.
How can I prevent this from happening or should I just rack this into a separate container already. It's been less than 24hours.

Most of us ferment in buckets and then move to glass close to the end of the ferment.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta

1gal water
1 pkg Lalvin D47 yeast.
4 cups raspberries.
OG was 1.112

When I ferment in carboys I use ones which are twice as big as the batch, or more. The carboy should be at least half empty for me. I ferment ~27 liter batches in 54 liter carboys. Once ferment is over and the racking is done the batch will fit in a 25 liter carboy with some left over for topping up. The 27 liters are approximate: melomels have more lees, traditionals less. Fermenting in the right sized carboy rather than one much larger does not make sense even if it's possible because if the carboy is full you can't really stir up the lees or degas easily. And eruption (meas) possibilities. You will also end up with too much head space after you rack

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
The only solids I intentionally put into the carboy are oak. #lessonslearned

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Utah_Monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2018
Lesson learned. I wanted to start small since this was my first time, but if I make another Melomel I'm going to get a fermenting bucket.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I actually ferment most of my stuff in 10-gallon plastic trashcan type fermenter vessels. The lids don't even snap on tight. The snap in a way that they won't fall off. But it's nowhere near close to sealed. And I wouldn't even want it to be. Your yeast eats O2 like crazy during fermentation. When I aerate with pure O2, my saturation addition is gone within the hour. So it serves us to our favor. I keep them this way until they get around 1020 or so before I move them over to glass carboys. And then I lock them up with an airlock.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
When I ferment in carboys I use ones which are twice as big as the batch, or more. The carboy should be at least half empty for me. I ferment ~27 liter batches in 54 liter carboys. Once ferment is over and the racking is done the batch will fit in a 25 liter carboy with some left over for topping up. The 27 liters are approximate: melomels have more lees, traditionals less. Fermenting in the right sized carboy rather than one much larger does not make sense even if it's possible because if the carboy is full you can't really stir up the lees or degas easily. And eruption (meas) possibilities. You will also end up with too much head space after you rack

Oops, I meant metheglins have more lees, not melomels. I never fermented fruit in a carboy, just juice.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns