• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sanitizing Options for Flex Tanks

Barrel Char Wood Products

Doctorbatman

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 10, 2014
Texas
Hey guys,

I work for a young meadery and we're running into a bit of a problem. We have 200 gallon flex tanks and we use KMeta Bisulphite to sanitize them. This hasn't been a problem until recently the gas remaining in the tanks has been overwhelmingly noxious. Are there other options for sanitizing flextanks? I know Starsan is out of the picture because the tanks are porous and it advises against that. Are there other sanitizing options that won't kill us with their fumes? Just curious. We've never really looked elsewhere because we haven't had this problem before.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Hey guys,

I work for a young meadery and we're running into a bit of a problem. We have 200 gallon flex tanks and we use KMeta Bisulphite to sanitize them. This hasn't been a problem until recently the gas remaining in the tanks has been overwhelmingly noxious. Are there other options for sanitizing flextanks? I know Starsan is out of the picture because the tanks are porous and it advises against that. Are there other sanitizing options that won't kill us with their fumes? Just curious. We've never really looked elsewhere because we haven't had this problem before.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/powdered-brewery-wash

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Well this may not be inexpensive but will sanitize your must and tanks great. And for a bonus after 24 hours leaves oxygen behind as a byproduct. 2 for the price of one:
Ozone kills bacteria and yeast and then breaks down and reforms to oxygen.
I use it pre-fermentation for all my batches.
Post fermentation the only way I know to sanitize your mead other than chemicals is with ultrafiltration.
Also if you want the tanks separate from the must you could use sulfite with acid. Adding acids lowers the amount of sulfite needed.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns