• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

SG and brew times

Barrel Char Wood Products

Juliemac

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2010
Amsterdam NY
I started a batch with

12lbs of honey
I bottle of Molasses
2lbs strawberries
2lbs blue berries
KV1116 yeast.
Water to fill a 5 gallon primary.

After a week, added the following
2lbs strawberries
2lbs blue berries

My SG started at 1.085 and 2 weeks later, removed the stockings containing the berries, reached 1.005.

Its still bubbling away, a bubble every 5-7 seconds.
How long will this continue? I have a 5 gallon carboy ready to take the primary, but not sure when to do it.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
This will ferment to below 1.000 probably 0.995
It will be very dry.
Allow it to sit, undisturbed, for a few days yet, then rack it into smaller vessels a 4 gal would do nicely if you have one.
Rack it into secondary ensuring there is as little head space or air-gap possible. Then fix an airlock again just in case.
This won't be ready to bottle for another 12 months at least I'd guess.

The above is assuming you wanted a dry mead, and didn't want to attempt backsweetening.

Juliemac

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2010
Amsterdam NY
Ok. I have a glass carboy with stopper and an airlock.
Once transferred, I have some distilled water that I can top off the carboy.
Sound reasonable?

We are heading into fall here in the NE of the US. Cooler nights.
What about placing the carboy outside during the cooler weather to cause the particulate to drop?

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Yes, but I would add honey water myself so as to not dilute the mead.

And yes, just make sure to cover so as to block all light.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Whenever I top up something that's recently been racked from primary and need to make up headspace, I like to use the same proportion of honey I originally used in the batch (I guess how much water I'd need to fill the space, take a little less than I think I need, then add honey until I get the right SG). It will temporarily raise the SG but should ferment out as long as your yeasties are still doing their thing, you're diluting it with the correct amount of sugar to make up the same amount of alcohol you're displacing. Or at least that theory makes my brain happy. :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns