• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

So...what else do you do?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sasper

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2009
I used to play in a touring metal band

What genre of metal did you play!? I'm a pretty big fan of music, I also like fishing a lot, I don't like working but end up spending most of my time doing it. And did I mention mead? I'm a youngin' so basically anything involvin' runnin' and gunnin'.

Shanecb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008
Shanecb, what are your specific interests in neuroscience?

Sort of a few things. Primarily in behavioral neuroscience as well as neuropsychiatric disorders. Secondarily I'm interested in altered mind states such as psychosis, hypnosis, and use of psychoactives. For the past few years I've been in a lab examining the effects of stressors on the immune system via HPA axis activation. I think (as in, the meeting about it is next week) I'm about to start working on a very similar study that's about stress and breast cancer, and may also be starting work in a lab studying schizophrenia. These are all maybes as the meetings for both of these are on this coming Monday. I was really hoping to get into a behavioral neuroscience lab this year, but the professor unfortunately closed his lab.

Last edited:

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
There must be some sort of correlation between IQ and SciFi reading. I just hope it's, like, a positive correlation......:eek:

I'd guess it depends on the caliber and sub-genre of SF! I doubt reading Starwars does much for the old noodle, but stuff like Dune, or Brave New World etc will pretty much force you to be smarter, even if you didn't start that way!

What genre of metal did you play!? I'm a pretty big fan of music, I also like fishing a lot, I don't like working but end up spending most of my time doing it. And did I mention mead? I'm a youngin' so basically anything involvin' runnin' and gunnin'.

I played what I would probably just call speed metal, or maybe a speed metal hardcore mix. There are so many genres it gets entirely rediculous, and every time someone realizes that they don't quite fit into one they make up a new one!

I'm not sure if linking off site to me old band's myspace would be acceptable here, so I won't unless someone senior gives me the ok, I know this is a no-advertising no-spam site, don't want to get booted out!

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
Like several other people here I love sci-fi and fantasy. One of my favorite authors is Terry Pratchett. Love cooking, but despise the clean-up afterwords. I am also into anime, manga and garage kits.

By the way wildoates out of all the kids in different locations, the most isolated one has to be in Wyoming;D.

Sasper

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2009
I played what I would probably just call speed metal, or maybe a speed metal hardcore mix. There are so many genres it gets entirely rediculous, and every time someone realizes that they don't quite fit into one they make up a new one!

I'm not sure if linking off site to me old band's myspace would be acceptable here, so I won't unless someone senior gives me the ok, I know this is a no-advertising no-spam site, don't want to get booted out!

Cool man, as far as metal goes I'm really into death, black, thrash, speed, and I can really dig on some hardcore punk too.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Like several other people here I love sci-fi and fantasy. One of my favorite authors is Terry Pratchett. Love cooking, but despise the clean-up afterwords. I am also into anime, manga and garage kits.

By the way wildoates out of all the kids in different locations, the most isolated one has to be in Wyoming;D.

She works the East Gate of Yellowstone, and loves it there. I keep telling her to find a cowboy and settle there, but so far no luck. :)

She's on her way back there right now, as a matter of fact--in the middle of Utah about now.

I like Prachett too.

socpsy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2009
NW Arkansas
www.socpsy.com
Sort of a few things. Primarily in behavioral neuroscience as well as neuropsychiatric disorders. Secondarily I'm interested in altered mind states such as psychosis, hypnosis, and use of psychoactives. For the past few years I've been in a lab examining the effects of stressors on the immune system via HPA axis activation. I think (as in, the meeting about it is next week) I'm about to start working on a very similar study that's about stress and breast cancer, and may also be starting work in a lab studying schizophrenia. These are all maybes as the meetings for both of these are on this coming Monday. I was really hoping to get into a behavioral neuroscience lab this year, but the professor unfortunately closed his lab.

Cool! I've taught a behavioral neuroscience course for the last 30 years (although we called it physiological psychology back in the early days!). Very interesting stuff. I'm now particularly interested in connections between neurophysiology/neuroanatomy and social/emotional issues.

EverGreenman

Forest Dweller with a Wine Cellar
GotMead Patron
Nov 4, 2008
Pacific Northwest
I'll jump in

I'm a student, a professional student for that matter. Been at it a few years (6) at this point, and I think just one more before I get out of their hair. I've got 3 majors of sorts, geology, geo chemistry and working on finishing one up on enology with minors in linguistics (I can speak french, spanish, portuguese, and arabic fluently, working on Thai when I can, Chinese and I've got a thing for gaelic I might pursue in the future.) and 2d art (mostly printmaking). Ummm, yeah.

My hobbies include playing music, collecting instruments, rock hounding of course, herbalism, collecting succulents (I DIG those pictures of the carnivorous plants. that is awesome!), collecting books (mostly fantasy, spirituality, and practical farming/herbal/brewing/cooking/building books), and romping around in the forest, or up a mountain, or along a beach.

Oh yeah, and this week I was made World Music Director at our local community radio station. So that's pretty cool. I have my own radio show every week on friday night/saturday morning from 1-6am. Now I get to order and catalog music and submit things to business people. aaaaaand not get paid. yet. still excited about it though!

spasticcp

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Like several other people here I love sci-fi and fantasy. One of my favorite authors is Terry Pratchett.

Terry Pratchett is one of my favorites as well. It was very sad to hear about the early onset of Alzheimers. A mind that creatively hilarious should not fall victim to something so horrible! I finally got a copy of Thud!, which I think is the final chapter for Vimes and company (although it's hard to put a timeline on them without re-reading).

I was also big into Robert Jordan and his Wheel of Time series. One of my writing projects was an homage more or less to his world. Even after his death, the series is supposed to be finished, but I'm not sure it will be the same.

Right on, I do a bit of that myself. I'll play anything from classical on the acoustic, to some good old drop C tuned metal goodness. My musical tastes are insanely varied, with the exception of "new" country, and hip hop...just could never get into either genre.

Thanks for sharing everyone! Being new to the site I just wanted to do sort of an icebreaker, get a feel for some of the other posters as I have a feeling I'll be visiting the site often.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I was also big into Robert Jordan and his Wheel of Time series... Even after his death, the series is supposed to be finished, but I'm not sure it will be the same.

I hadn't heard the series was going to be finished. Do you know who is supposed to finish the series? Any timelines?

spasticcp

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Yes I do in fact ;), Brandon Sanderson was chosen by Robert's wife I believe (I think it was his wife anyway) to finish. What was supposed to be the 12th and final book in the series called A Memory of Light was what RJ was working on before he passed away. After reviewing all of the notes, it was decided that there was far too much to wrap it up in just one book (no shocker there, every book seemed to add further loose ends to tie). So there will be 3 books total. The first of which, The Gathering Storm, is due to be released either on 10/27/09, or 11/3/09 (not sure if that will change or not). The next book, Shifting Winds (working title we've been told WILL change, is at 58% completion...whatever that means...I don't see how you could put such an exact percentage like that, usually there's the obvious generalization...oh about 1/2, 3/4, etc. Who knows about the 14th book, obviously titled Tarmon Gai'don (sp?)

As for Brandon, I don't really know a lot of info about him, other than he was a huge RJ fan. Haven't researched him much.

I apologize for my incredible display of nerdiness just now...

Last edited:

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Spasticcp, I think this will make you my hubbies hero! We hadn't heard about any decisions made. Hubby is really into SF. The SF section at the local bookstores have been cut in half over the past several months, so he's been getting more and more frustrated each time we go.

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
Terry Pratchett is one of my favorites as well. It was very sad to hear about the early onset of Alzheimers. A mind that creatively hilarious should not fall victim to something so horrible! I finally got a copy of Thud!, which I think is the final chapter for Vimes and company

I have to agree about the tragedy. Another tragedy in the SF world was the death of Douglas Adams, but I have read that someone is working on a sixth book for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy although the name is slipping my mind at the moment.

She works the East Gate of Yellowstone, and loves it there. I keep telling her to find a cowboy and settle there, but so far no luck. :)

East Gate huh? That would make the closest town Cody unless you count Wapiti. Has she told you how far it is to the closest mall? I grew up 100 miles east of where she works, hence my avatar. The signs welcoming you to the state used to say "Welcome to Wyoming, Like No Place on Earth".

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I have to agree about the tragedy. Another tragedy in the SF world was the death of Douglas Adams, but I have read that someone is working on a sixth book for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy although the name is slipping my mind at the moment.

The guy who wrote the Artemis Fowl books, I think--Eoin Colfer. Daughter #1 is a librarian, and she was pretty stoked about the choice.

East Gate huh? That would make the closest town Cody unless you count Wapiti. Has she told you how far it is to the closest mall? I grew up 100 miles east of where she works, hence my avatar. The signs welcoming you to the state used to say "Welcome to Wyoming, Like No Place on Earth".

Cody it is. She was in town for a wedding earlier this week and got a lot of shopping done here that she can't do in Cody. The nearest mall is what? In Billings?

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
Cody it is. She was in town for a wedding earlier this week and got a lot of shopping done here that she can't do in Cody. The nearest mall is what? In Billings?

Yep, Billings is the closest one, after that the next closest would be Sheridan followed by Casper. Sheridan is a little out of the way since you have to go over the Big Horns and Casper is a 5 or 6 hour drive away. When I was a kid that was a real problem since the library didn't have a lot of the newer sci-fi/fantasy books and so I had to buy a couple every time we went to Billings. Cody had a K-mart and Pamida but the rest of the stores there were geared to separate the tourists from as much of their money as possible.

If your daughter is in to skiing tell her to check out Red Lodge in winter, of course she'd have to go the long way around since Bear Tooth will be under several feet of snow;D

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
She doesn't know if she'll be there over winter or not, but it's strangely cool and cloudy--with a few drops falling from those clouds--outside here this morning! Melike!

dohrt

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2009
Hmm, things I enjoy doing:

-Kendo (japanese fencing, I guess you might say)
-Classical guitar (nylon string, play fingers, not a pick)
-Other musical stuff too (electric guitar with a pick, bass, vocals, trying to -pretend I know how to play piano, maracas, etc.)
-Being cheap manual labor for my wife's DIY projects...er, WAIT! Hmm.
-Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll. Wait, I forgot, I'm married! And, well, it's been many a year since my college days. So let me rephrase that: going to sleep early, ibuprofen for my aches and pains, and listening to old songs that the young people say, "my grandpa loves that album!" Actually, I'm only 35, but it sure feels like more in the mornings :p

Professionally, I do IT... cisco (routers, switches, firewalls), microsoft(servers), linux (servers), vmware, etc. etc. I'm kind of a super computer nerd, as I do it as a hobby as well.

There are other things I've dedicated time to learning, that I don't do much of anymore, but may do again someday... but I'll leave those for now.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Hmm, things I enjoy doing:

-Kendo (japanese fencing, I guess you might say)
-Classical guitar (nylon string, play fingers, not a pick)
-Other musical stuff too (electric guitar with a pick, bass, vocals, trying to -pretend I know how to play piano, maracas, etc.)
-Being cheap manual labor for my wife's DIY projects...er, WAIT! Hmm.
-Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll. Wait, I forgot, I'm married! And, well, it's been many a year since my college days. So let me rephrase that: going to sleep early, ibuprofen for my aches and pains, and listening to old songs that the young people say, "my grandpa loves that album!" Actually, I'm only 35, but it sure feels like more in the mornings :p

Professionally, I do IT... cisco (routers, switches, firewalls), microsoft(servers), linux (servers), vmware, etc. etc. I'm kind of a super computer nerd, as I do it as a hobby as well.

There are other things I've dedicated time to learning, that I don't do much of anymore, but may do again someday... but I'll leave those for now.
Pul-eeze don't tell me you feel old at 35, as my eldest is 33, and no way am I ready to feel old yet. I am not going gently into that dark night, no way Jose. :)

And my motto regarding things that you don't do much any more but might again someday? Live a long time so you can do a lot of things.

STLBrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Better late than never, I guess...I will jump in on this one too! ;D

I am a brewer and now mead maker...I have been brewing for the better part of 4 years now (I think). I was an avid reader, mainly things like Stephen King, JRR Tolkien, Edgar Allen Poe, even a little Anne Rice...but that has since been left on the bookshelf. I have been mainly reading brewing books (beer, mead, cider and wine) for the past year or two now...with an occasional veering off for other things like books on Poker (Texas Hold 'Em) and other things like 'The Art of War'. I also take out the old Business books on occasion and refresh my memory a little...I have my Bachelor's in Business Admin / Management.

I currently work two jobs to make my debt less apparent and making up for stupid youthful blunders (I am 31, by the way...), but I am making headway!! Needless to say, so much for spare time...

I have attempted to learn to play the bass, with little success, so that too is sort of on the back burner until I get some free time. I do sing a little bit as well. I have not gotten into the gaming world too much, but played Travian for a short time and have seen the 'evils' of World of Warcraft...so I won't start that one for fear I will never stop!!

Other than that, I am just walking along this path called life and trying not to fall off the side. Oh, and I too, am a little wordy...;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns