• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Step Feeding Calculator?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Robusto

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2011
NJ
Hi all,
I’m just wondering if anyone has a Step Feeding calculator or knows how to crunch the numbers to determine how to adjust the OG to get an accurate ABV once fermentation stops. So, for instance, take the following scenario:

I start with an OG of 1.2 and the yeast take it down to 1.05 and then I add more honey to bring the gravity up to 1.10.
The yeast take it back down to 1.05 and I add more honey to bring the SG back to 1.10.
I then let the yeast take the SG down to where I want it at, say, 1.01, and then stop fermentation.

Now I know that my example may not me realistic, but I wanted to use round numbers to make the math easy.

thanks

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I could be wrong, but using your numbers I get 1.200-1.050=1.150. 1.150+(1.100-1.050)=1.200. 1.200+(1.100-1.010)=1.290.

So, an adjusted OG of 1.290. Did you get another number?

machalel

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2012
Australia
I would have though that your "total" OG is 1.20 plus two increases of 0.05 = 1.30?

Then your total drop is 1.30 - 1.01 = 0.29

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
What yeast are you using because if I'm reading this right we're talking 40% abv and everything is going to poop out long before that. Shit my hydrometer only goes up to 1.17

Robusto

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2011
NJ
I would have though that your "total" OG is 1.20 plus two increases of 0.05 = 1.30? Then your total drop is 1.30 - 1.01 = 0.29

Aha... Ok. I didn’t know that you could use “simple” math- I thought that there would be some sort of compounding effect (like bank interest), but I guess if you just calculate “points” in vs points out you get your number. Pretty cool.

What yeast are you using because if I'm reading this right we're talking 40% abv and everything is going to poop out long before that. Shit my hydrometer only goes up to 1.17

TAK-
I know that the numbers are ridiculous, but I just used round numbers to make the math easy.

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
<snip>...Now I know that my example may not me realistic, but I wanted to use round numbers to make the math easy.

thanks

I believe this was just a hypothetical situation using round numbers so that he could get a feel for calculating the step feeding.

Edit: Doh...beat me to it. :p

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
TAK-
I know that the numbers are ridiculous, but I just used round numbers to make the math easy.

OK, no one before me said anything and I was just like "am I reading these numbers wrong". 1.1 is a round number that could produce actual results :)

huesmann

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
By my calcs, you would have (for example) 5 gallons of must with 28.18 lb of honey in your original 1.200 must. You would then ferment down to 1.050 and add 9.27 lb of honey for a total volume of 5.79 gallons to get back to 1.100. You would then ferment down to 1.050 and add 10.73 lb of honey to get back to 1.100, for a total volume of 6.70 gallons. This is an equivalent OG of 1.255. Fermenting down to a FG of 1.010 gives you an ABV around 33%, depending which formula you use. Of course, getting a 1.200 must to take off would be a bit of a trick.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns