• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Stuck Cider....Advice needed

Barrel Char Wood Products

davarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2005
A friend gave me a gallon of cider, so I searched the forums and found Joe Mattoli's recipie:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=267.0

I started this Sunday night with a few minor modifications; Gallberry honey instead of clover, and D47 yeast instead of 1118. As of this evening, there is no bubbling.

I am guessing that the must was still a little cold when I pitched the yeast, and I could have shocked it. The cider was refrigerated, but I waited a couple of hours to let it sit at room temp (with honey and sugar mixed in) before pitching the yeast. It was still about 60 degrees, while room temp was about 76 degrees.

The must is in a 1.5 gallon plastic bucket, which is placed in a larger container filled with water and covered with a wet towel. I am out of town on business, so I asked my wife to remove the bucket from the water, give it a shake & swirl, and set it aside to see if it will stimulate the yeast. If nothing happens by tomorrow night when I return, I may add another packet of yeast.

Here's my concern: The cider is non-pastuerized and un-processed. Today will mark the second day it has not been refrigerated. Without any fermentation, I am worried that the cider may spoil or foul.

How many days can cider sit out at room temperature before I have to consider cutting bait?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'm thinking you have three or four days worth of wiggle room.

I did the same thing earlier in the year with my cyser. I left the apple cider out for a couple of hours but it wasn't completely up to room temperature when I pitched so it took some time to bring it along.

I just threw some towels into my dryer and wrapped them around my carboy, then put my down jacket over it and by the next morning they were foaming like a rabid mad dog. I'd suggest the same thing, but to take your bucket out of the larger liquid bucket before you wrap the towels around it.

Also remember, changing established recipes is done at your own peril!

Cheers,

Oskaar

davarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2005
Thanks Oskaar..I feel better now.

If I do get to the desperate point where I feel the need to re-pitch yeast, should I stick with D47 or add EC-1118 instead? If I switched, then in a way, I would be somewhat salvaging the original recipie that Joe posted. That should redeem me a little.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
No problema,

For repitching I'd go with the EC, but give your D47 a chance. It'll kick up once it's gotten over it's cold reception.

Cheers,

Oskaar

davarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2005
All is well.

I got home this evening, and the batch was bubbling away. Shake & Bake works again!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns