• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sunblock

Barrel Char Wood Products

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
So I though I'd build a case to keep the mead out of the sun. All I did was cut the side out of a box I had used to move some books. I covered the hole which was the handle and taped it up, nice and secure. Then I placed it over my mead only to realize it was too short. So now I covered it with a pillow case and a paper bag on top of that.

What do you use?

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
I'm thinking of making some "mead cozies" like they do for teapots... to fit my 1 gallon jugs. But a roof... I also use a house... ;) although... if one was to put their mead outside to chill... a sunblock/shade would be needed.

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
i use old towels for whatever carboys i cant shove in the back of one of my closets!

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
To keep my carboys dark and happy, I use an old T-shirt. I pin the neck closely around the neck of the carboy. It works great and I can toss it in the wash when I spill.

All but one of my individual bottles are brown, and those are kept in my basement.

exmoor_cat

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 20, 2004
www.livejournal.com
How does light affect the mead??
Mine are in the kitchen which is mainly gloomy, with occasional artifical light when cooking. A week in, and the demijohns are going like the clappers.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. :-[ I thought it was kind of a weird question especially since cold stabilization wasn't mentioned. ??? I don't use a sunblock or put my mead outside for cold stabilization. I use a Dark basement and a large refrigerator in the basement.
;D

Joe

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
exmoor_cat said:
How does light affect the mead??
Mine are in the kitchen which is mainly gloomy, with occasional artifical light when cooking. A week in, and the demijohns are going like the clappers.
Not good. Fermentation is slower than in the dark and your yeast are a bit disappointed in you cause it hurts their eyes. ;D Also flouresense lights cause the color to change over time and is not good for long term storage. Light causes a reaction in both mead and wine and even beer for that matter.
Joe

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I use large black plastic trashbags with a hole cut in the bottom seam where the trap fits through... These carboys started in the kitchen on a table that occasionally gets indirect sunlight through the windows and then moved to the basement where they would get lots of flourescent lighting exposure.

I believe I saw somewhere that the biggest concern for exposure to sunlight occurs after fermentation stops and results in discoloration (browning) of the mead. As someone already mentioned, the yeast will do "better" in darkness but sunlight does not kill them or prevent fermentation, only slows it...

I have a towel I have draped over the five yeast test gallon jugs that is easy to lift for examining and data taking...

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Har-dee har. Since most houses have windows and artificial light (in addition to roofs), I was wondering how most of you protect it from light. I used to ferment in a closet, but I no longer have the space. So now they're sitting out and need protection.

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Okay, I need a house with a basement... Or at least the walk in cooler that my wife wants to get me...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I have a "mead-house" which is a free standing building next to my house on my property. I ferment in there most of the time. During the summer I usually move the mead into my garage where it will stay cooler. I plan on putting a small A/C unit in the meadhouse next year to keep the temp at about 72 - 75 degrees for the summer months.

I also drape/wrap the carboys in old towels, blankets, sheets, etc to take the top and bottom off of the temperature sine-waves.

Cheers,

Oskaar

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
I usually cut a hole in the bottom of the box that i had purchased my carboy in. This allows the air-lock to breath and lets minimal light into the carboy :D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns