• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Syllabub

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
So, I'm meandering around the vast body of human literature recently and happened upon the food item "syllabub." I'm fairly well-read and have a moderately good vocabulary, but for the life of me I don't ever remember seeing or hearing the term before.

Now if my dear ol' mum was still alive, I'd ask her and I bet she'd know, but she isn't so I resorted to the internet. I love the internet, have I mentioned that before? It's almost as exhaustive as Mom. Anyway, check this out and tell me that it wouldn't be verrrry interesting made with just about any kind of mead you could concoct. I may have to serve it for dessert one of these days. I have just a little bit of mead sitting around the house that I could use. :)

Anyone ever had it? I did a GM search and only came up with one mention, from eons ago.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Sounds interesting.
The cream would kill a lit of the sweetness. It may work a treat.
Tell you what, grab that mead of yours and some cream. Take on for the team, whip it up and tell us what it's like.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Hmm, something to try with the container of whipping cream I bought for my b-day but never used since I stripped the gears from my mixer with the meringue :p

Reading a little deeper into that article, I suppose if you added cream to something that's carbonated (or in the more likely case that it's still fermenting), you mightn't have to whip much, the degassing would froth the drink itself!

Last edited:

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Mmmm...you're provoking me...
Love the "syllabub pumping engine"
For sure that's something to try!
Have you put this on your syllabus for next teaching season?

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I'm entranced with the entire website, actually...I'm not sure if anyone should be allowed to have so much fun with food. :)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Wow!
Those treats look delicious. I'm imagining what that would taste like with honey/mead instead of wine, and I may just have to give this a try instead of making homemade icecream for the 4th of July!

Edit
I see that one recipe that calls for Seville oranges - the same ones I use in my Orange Marmalade melomel - and it is calling my name. :)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
When I googled modern recipes for syllabub they tended to have a disclamer: Given its alcohol content, you might not want to give syllabub to children. Make them another dessert.

Sounds just the thing at bedtime. :)

Ayinson

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 4, 2011
Belgium
This is just incredible.
Up until I read this thread a couple of days ago I had never heard of anything called "syllabub". But this evening, while I was eating, a random cooking show was on, and all of a sudden I hear this Danish guy say "Next, I'm going to show you how to make a syllabub."
Seriously, how come this tends to happen so often?:D

Anyway, the dude used cider instead of wine, so I'm fairly certain it should work with mead as well. He did give the warning that you shouldn't whisk it too much because the syllabub will start shifting if you do so, and also that the whisking itself might take quite a bit longer than whipping cream. The consistency to be looked for is not as stiff as you would whip cream, but rather something still liquidy but firm.

My 2 cents. Well actually the danish guy's two cents:p

ZwolfUpir

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 28, 2011
Manchester NH
I was planning on making a mead ice cream when I finished making the coffee mead, but I think this just shot up the list. Now to show the wife so she'll let me get the honey. :D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns