• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Sherlock Holmes of Mead . . .

Barrel Char Wood Products

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Oskaar,

If it's Brazil I think you may have it a bit muddled. He introduces himself to Sam
as Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer. And later I think Jack tells Sam, "We suspect him of Freelance Subversion"

It's one of my favorite films if it's in there I do not recall it. If it's not Brazil then I'm at a loss.

Wrathwilde

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Nope -- Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan in the BBC production "The Goon Show." ;D

Dan,

Ouch! Okay, here are two American radio questions:

1.) Who was "America's fabulous freelance insurance investigator", and who played the role? Hint: there were several actors over the years, and I'll take any of them.

2.) Who was "The first man they look for, and the last they want to see", who played him, and what was the show? Hint: it became a very successful T.V. program, but with a different cast entirely.

-David

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
lostnbronx said:
1.) Who was "America's fabulous freelance insurance investigator", and who played the role? Hint: there were several actors over the years, and I'll take any of them.
To the first, Bob Bailey was the fourth Johnny Dollar.
To the 2nd, ???

Wrathwilde

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
WRATHWILDE said:
lostnbronx said:
To the first, Bob Bailey was the fourth Johnny Dollar.
To the 2nd, ???

Wrathwilde

Bob Bailey was the fourth and BEST Johnny Dollar. Great work, Wrath!

-David

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
lostnbronx said:
2.) Who was "The first man they look for, and the last they want to see", who played him, and what was the show? Hint: it became a very successful T.V. program, but with a different cast entirely.

Ok, WrathWilde (or is it Wrathwilde?) got the first one. Yay!

I'll say Gunsmoke is the second program, with William Conrad as Matt Dillon. *whew*

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Dan McFeeley said:
Ok, WrathWilde (or is it Wrathwilde?) got the first one. Yay!

I'll say Gunsmoke is the second program, with William Conrad as Matt Dillon. *whew*

Very good, both of you! The radio Gunsmoke was one of the very best dramas ever produced, in any medium. How about this:

What famous television mystery show had an earlier incarnation on radio as a soap opera?

-David

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
lostnbronx said:
How about this:

What famous television mystery show had an earlier incarnation on radio as a soap opera?

-David

No takers? Okay, here's a clue: the actor in the television version of this series starred in two separate motion pictures in a completely different genre -- made decades apart -- with the biggest film star of all time.

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey WW,

There's a spot in the movie where DeNiro turns to one of the other characters (I don't recall who at this time) and says "I'm a freelance maintenance man" This is from a UK version of the film that I saw a long time back. Can't say for certain if it made the cut in the USA distribution.

LNB are you talking about the Ellery queen radio and TV mystery with Jim Hutton who starred with John Wayne in "Hellfighters" and "The Green Berets" ? He is also the father of actor Timothy Hutton.

Cheers,

Oskaar

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Oskaar said:
LNB are you talking about the Ellery queen radio and TV mystery with Jim Hutton who starred with John Wayne in "Hellfighters" and "The Green Berets" ? He is also the father of actor Timothy Hutton.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Nope, sorry. The aswer is Perry Mason (Raymond Burr, from the tv show, was in the American release of Godzilla, and then again in Godzilla 1985. The radio version was hardly anyone's idea of a mystery program, being told in daily 15 minute installments, and sponsored by Tide Laundry Detergent, among others. It was what was often called a "Washboard Weeper".

-David

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns