• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

thiabendazole

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I wanted post some information about Thiabendazole which is referred to in Thirsty Viking's post under "First Recipe" section of this forum subject "Mead Newbies."

This compound is not as pernicious as it is coloured to be in Wout's comentary`

See link below:

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/thiabend.htm

Notice the rapidity of elimination from humans, and rats in particular. Also, contrary to what is asserted in the article that he (Wout) translated this chemical does not appear to be readily soluble in water, in fact it binds more readily to the particulate matter in water, and is also used medicinally as a chelating (metal binding) agent.

Still, it is always prudent to check the pesticides used on any fruits that we buy fresh from the farm or produce stand. Just be sure to wash off the outside with some mildly warm water and a good clean wash cloth. I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap to get any wax or sealant/oils that may be present.

Great recipe post and great info from Thirsty Viking, Thanks dude!!

Oskaar

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
By the way, I tried that recipe myself only modified a bit for a 3 gallon batch and substituted fresh Florida navel oranges. I only used the zest of ten oranges and wow! Even that seemed too much for me. That is one of the meads that I have to admit was not drinkable when finished. I was careful with the zest, not to get the pith or white stuff. Still it had a sharp orange bitter bite and the oranges juice also requires aging to rid itself of the overripe orange taste that happens as it ferments. Mine will be a year old in December and I will try a bottle then. I sweetened to 1.020 to offset the bitterness bite and let it age with a vanilla bean in it. At 5 months it was a clear golden orange color, taste a little like a dreamsicle with a great orange nose ( I used orange blossom honey) but still needed more aging to mellow out the bitter aftertaste (bite). It may turn out to be the nectar of the gods, but I am used to making meads that are drinkable at the finish and great after only a few months. This one will take time but may exceed my expectations.
Joe

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Thiabendazole is actually very safe. It is used as an antihelminthic (worm infection) drug for such things as pinworm, roundworm, threadworm, and whipworm infections. It goes under the trade name "Mintezol" and can be perscribed in quantities as much as 1.5 grams twice a day with little or no side effects.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Good thing I read your post JoeM, I was was ready to put 3 grams into my margarita to give it a little kick. I'll make sure to back it off to 1.5 grams so I can have two maggies! ;)

Seems like it is a pretty versatile chemical that has a lot of really helpful uses. Don't ya just love chemistry?

Regards,

Oskaar

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
hehe i wasn't trying to malign the pesticide :)

Just reporducing his entire post for consideration.

Just posting the source of my recipe. Some people may be more sensitive to the zest. Certainly the zest was noted in a review of my mead when it was a year old. When i try this
recipe again i may use some water in it instead of all orange juice and honey.

The orange charachter and nose are very rich. I think i zested about 8 for 3 gallons but also added some food grade extract, will have to find my notes. This mead was on the acidic side, as Vikky Rowe can testify to. She had some at about 6 months of age and took a bottle home. Almost 18 months old now if she still has it.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey TV!

It was a great post that you put up, I made sure to snip the recipe and save it (noting the zest issues) for the possibility of making a batch in the not too distant future.

I tried to make sure that I was quoting Wout when I was replying because I didn't want it to seem like I was capping on you or your post. Good information, and much appreciated!

Thanks,

Oskaar

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
My pleasure, was surprised at the amount of discussion on the pesticide in morroco, lol.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns