• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Weight approx ?

Barrel Char Wood Products

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Could someone with a digital scale, with some Go-Ferm and Fermaid K on hand -- tell me what a level teaspoon of each of these products weigh in grams?

I realize that there may be variabilities in product, etc...

Thanks!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Don't know exactly what you're looking for here but Go-Ferm and Fermaid are used at a rate of:

GO-Ferm - 1.25 grams/gram of yeast mixed into 17 ml H20/gallon of must

Fermaid K - 1.0 g/gallon of must

I don't use teaspoons to measure either of these guys. You may be thinking of generic yeast nutrient and energizer which is generally measured by the tablespoon.

cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
SteveT,

I seem to recall reading that they were about 1 gram per 1/4 tsp, and that's the conversion I've been using when Oskaar calls for gram additions. We're not all Coke dealers with digital scales Oskaar.:'(

Wrathwilde ;D

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
SteveT said:
Go-Ferm and Fermaid K... what a level teaspoon of each of these products weigh in grams?

Steve,

As with most powders, they can be meaured then weighed 10 times and be 10 different weights, depending on how compacted the material is when measured.

The same information Oskaar gave you can be found on this page ~ http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/additives.asp ~

Dmntd

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
At some point in Oskaar's (3378) posts he mentioned that 1 gram of fermaid K was about a 1/4 tsp, he must have since it is part of my Oskaar in a Nutshell thread, and any modifications I made to the text were for flow and assembling into categories. I have no Idea if Oskaar measured it at some point. But Oskaar was my original source.

Wrathwilde

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks all -- since I've given up Coke, I no longer have scales . Approximate weight (1 level tsp ~ 4 grams) was all I was looking for...

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
I bought one of these about a month ago:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/escali-primo.jpg

$29.95 at northerbrewer.com -

The Primo scale is an excellent value. It has a weight capacity of 11 lbs. It's display can be configured to show the weight in ounces or grams. With a resolution of 0.1 ounce (1 gram), the Primo is ideal for measuring hops, chemicals or other small ingredient additions. The extremely compact Primo runs on two AA batteries (included). Dimensions: 8"x6"x1.25".

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I notice more and more people are transfering to grams for measurment too...

Now is that 1 gram = 1/4 t. for goferm or fermaid? Or are you telling me they weigh the same? :icon_scratch:

While were on the thread, can anyone find the approx tsp. to grams for Tanin Galalcool & DAP? I'm looking into some of Oskaars fancier recipes...

If'n anyone witha digital scale could take a gander, you'd have my eternal gratitudes.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Just did a reading on my digital scale...

per 1/4 tsp

GoFerm 0.9 grams
DAP 0.9 grams
Fermaid K 1.1 grams

Tannin Galalcool will have to wait for the moment as I don't have an open pack.

Wrathwilde

Recluse

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2006
Hmmm.. I used 1/2 Tsp Fermaid-K in my Cinnful Cyser mod...for no good reason other than DeltOgre used 1/2 Tsp of "DAP Based Yeast Energizer". Any downside to using too much? I think in Joe Mattioli's Quick Mead, he said to use 1/8 tsp of FERMAX and that MORE would NOT be BETTER due to off flavors.

I hope those Yeasties are fat and happy.

Recluse

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
So anyone weighed 1/4 t. of tanin galacool lately?

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I'm taking achemestry class this semestre we've goog scientific scales in there.

Hre what I got:

Fermaid K: in several trials repeatedly came to 1.3 or 1.4 g/ 1/4 tsp. There can be a lot of variables, I may have gotten fermaid with more dap than normal and tsp. measures will difer a bit from eachother.

Tannin Galacool: 1/4 tsp = .5 g. every trial.

NOW I can finally start Oskaarz Dry Mead!!

~Wolfie

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns