• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What am I doing wrong?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Thomas-Virginia

NewBee
Registered Member
May 27, 2006
Hello, and thank you for being interested in helping me. I'm an amateur mead-maker and recently I have made my second batch of mead. The problem is that my friends think it's bad though I dont. It is a metheglin and has a very strong taste, it has aged 3 months. The recipe will be listed below I think I just need to age it a little more. When making, I boiled the water and added the honey slowly then the spices and all with a candy thermometer so the temp was right on and the yeast was not added until it reached below 100. The fermentation was done in a corked and air-locked, glass fermentation jug. It was kept in my basement in the dark so it's been pretty cold. As much as I read about what others have done and common mistakes I cant seem to find anything that would suggest that my mead is anything other than perfect. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 quart premium light honey
3 quarts water
2 whole nutmeg (sliced)
2 cinnamon sticks
1 sliced ginger root (small)
10 + cloves
1 lemon sliced (peel and all)
Mix all ingredients together in an enamel pot and boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly with a non-metal spool. Let cool to about 104F and add one package of champagne yeast.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Way too much spice for me dude.

1 nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
1 sm portion of the ginger root
and a couple of cloves would have been fine for me in this setup.

But, your tastebuds are the ones that matter so if it floats your boat, GFI!

cheers,

Oskaar

Thomas-Virginia

NewBee
Registered Member
May 27, 2006
Thank you for the suggestion, if/when I make my next metheglin I will be sure to not add so many ingredients. I will follow your suggestion next time and definatly cut down on the ginger. Do you think I can salvage this? Not that I mind drinking it all by myself but I think my livers bad enough ;] I've heard of adding honey to the mix if the taste is not right, does this carry any merit? Maybe what I read was only within a certain time-limit. Thanks again for the suggestion.

finburger

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2006
10 whole cloves? Thats twice what you need for a 5 gallon batch, let alone a gallon batch.
Plus, no need to boil anything. Just heat the water up to 140 or so and remove from heat. Then mix in the honey.

Thomas-Virginia

NewBee
Registered Member
May 27, 2006
Haha apparently I've gotten myself on a bad recipe. Maybe made by someone with very weak tastebuds, I dunno. All I know is that I have 3 steralized fermentation jugs sitting around and I'm just itching to try again. Making the mead is fun but making the labels is great fun for me too and did I mention the bottles I also have sitting around? It would definatly be off-topic to ask for your fav recipes so I'll just say that my next one will be a traditional mead with clove honey purchaced online. Maybe not as good as going to my local honeycomb but better than buying it from Foodlion :p . As I recall from an article on this very site, clove honey is about as average and/or widely used as one can get. By average I do not mean bad, just simply not as exotic as some. Thank you for your help I really have benefitted from this discussion and hopefully I will run into you two in the forums later for more talks like these.

B

BrewStef

Sounds like a medicinal metheglin.

How about making a 3 or 5 gallon batch of "traditional", and blending it to taste? That way you can weaken the spices to appeal to a broader palate.

Cheers!

BrewStef

Thomas-Virginia

NewBee
Registered Member
May 27, 2006
Thats a very good idea. I've already taken an 8 ounce and mixed 1/4 (1 quart [16 ounces] per gallon was recommended) with honey to see if it will help. Right now I'm waiting for the must to clear up so I can taste again but right now it seems like too much honey. If this doesnt work then atleast with your idea I'll be adding mead to mead. Thank you.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns