• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What are you going to brew over the holiday weekend?

Barrel Char Wood Products

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
Is anyone going to be brewing over the 4th of July weekend?

I plan on making a very fine blonde ale, a 5-gallon batch of traditional sweet mead, and possible a pea pod wine.

Brian K

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well,

I owe WrathWilde an R-HST batch to see if my yeasties clump or not so I'll be doing that tomorrow with several others. Probably two batches of Western Buckwheat, Two batches of Orange Blossom, Two batches of Wildflower, along with two each of sage and mesquite. We'll see how far I get. Plus, I'm going to bottle my Dad's wine, and probably the 2004 Zinfandel.

I finished off the last of the 2003 Zin that I brought out to the Mead Slosh in Riverside last night. I actually have two bottles left, but I have a girl coming in from France this weekend to visit with my cousins and I so we'll swill that when she gets here.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
Party, send mother in law home, Def Leppard/Bryan Adams concert, fry a turkey, fix my storm damaged gazebo, make 15 gallons of wine, bio-neem the garden, pretty much sums up my weekend ;)

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Nothing :(

Cant afford to get any honey right now. (and of course this is the Canada Day long weekend ;) )

I did brew up another batch of stout on Thursday night though.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Independence Day here is not celebrated on the 4th of July :D. I do have warm memories of celebrations staged by the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel - all-day events at one of the big public parks in Jerusalem, with '60s music provided by a band called The Alte Rockers ;D, frisbees peacefully sailing overhead, kids scampering around while the grownups handled the barbecues or patronized the hot dog vendor. No longer viable, for security issues are too serious to allow for that anymore.

But the brewing agenda for the next several days: 1 gallon of Oskaar's Spicy Cyser, 2 gallons of apple-blackcurrant wine, and possible a marigold metheglin, depending on carboy availability. And transferring to secondary a peach/ginger melomel taken from Ken Schramm's book, plus two gallons of peach wine. That's enough for now, although I have some dim ideas about a raisin wine or pyment based on raisins, and a carob concoction of some sort - for later. I spend entirely too much time thinking about wine and mead. ;)

Miriam

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
bio-neem the garden, trim storm damage from garden, party complied with. No fixing gazebo, after season is done, it's trash :(. Concert tonight (Sunday) ;D

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
Miriam said:
That's enough for now, although I have some dim ideas about a raisin wine or pyment based on raisins, and a carob concoction of some sort - for later.

Hi Miriam! I made a raisin wine a couple of years ago. I used 4 pounds of blue raisins in a 5 gallon batch. The feedback from a number of people was that I should have used 8 pounds of raisins.

I'll post the recipe if you want.

Brian K

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Well,
Honestly, I wasn't planning on it but mom pointed out the fact that I had about 9 lbs of raspberryes in the fridge so I went for it -> Raz-Bearry melomel. It is posted in the recipes forum.

Happy 4th to all,
Ted

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Brian, that would be very cool, thank you.

I have 3.5 kg. of indigo-blue raisins, cured without sulfites and sold in the local open-air market as "Bucharian raisins". They looked so interesting I had to do something with them. I think I need another half-kilo to start though.

I've seen recipes for pea-pod wine. One English friend says that it's the favorite in her house. CJJ Berry called it "an attractive light wine", and affirmed that it's better than it sounds.

I believe that I'm in the advanced stages of Uncontrolled Fermentation-Urge Sydrome. Let the eye rest ever so gently on any vegetable or fruit, and the brain feverishly begins to calculate how much water and sugar; which yeast; and what other additives needed to make make liquor out of them. Forget about honey, once kept for Rosh HaShannah honeycake or for drizzling over pancakes - a new jar of honey brings on a positive frenzy of UFUS. And before you know it, you're staggering under a load of wonderful new material out of which to make booze! ...There's something wrong with this picture. A Jewish matron should be attending to home and business, not obsessing with fermentation.

Ay de mi. I might as well stop fighting it and enjoy. However I suspect many of the people on this forum have these symptoms to one degree or another ;D.

Miriam

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hi Miriam,
You mean not everybody thinks this way? My honey supply is down to 24 lbs and frankly, I'm panicking :-\ All fruit are fair game ;D ;D My mom found my stash of ripe apricots and not knowing what I had in mind, feared they'll spoil so she made a jam out of them :'( Oh,well, back to the market.
I think you have the right idea, those who think of us as strange have no clue what they're missing...Their loss....

Ted

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
Miriam said:
I believe that I'm in the advanced stages of Uncontrolled Fermentation-Urge Sydrome. Let the eye rest ever so gently on any vegetable or fruit, and the brain feverishly begins to calculate how much water and sugar; which yeast; and what other additives needed to make make liquor out of them.

Well, I'm pretty sure I too suffer from UFUS. Everytime I'm at the grocery store or farmer's market I find myself shopping for my mead instead of shopping for me. :D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns