• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What is this gas, or smell ot whatever

Barrel Char Wood Products

Kelvin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2012
Indiana
Ok, so each time so far that I have fermented in buckets whenever I open the lid and have a smell it knocks my head back it is so powerful and I don't know how to explain it. It's like a blast of something that almost burns my nose and knocks me back. This does not happen in the carboys. Is this normal? Does anyone know what it is?

mediaguru

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 19, 2012
St. Helena, California
Ok, so each time so far that I have fermented in buckets whenever I open the lid and have a smell it knocks my head back it is so powerful and I don't know how to explain it. It's like a blast of something that almost burns my nose and knocks me back. This does not happen in the carboys. Is this normal? Does anyone know what it is?

Not sure what smell you are experiencing, but this is my very first batch and I am doing 5 gallons in a 6 gallon bucket, and not noticing any weird smells... just pretty "normal" yeasty ones, like what I would smell while letting bread dough rise. I definitely get a hint of banana as well, but nothing super strong or overwhelming or unpleasant...

Could the smell just be that you have more gas built up and concentrated in the bucket than you would in carboy? (I'm assuming your bucket holds a greater volume than your carboy does. For example, I am doing 6 gal bucket but will rack to 5 gal carboy... in this scenario, when I remove the lid I am going to be facing something like 5x-10x as much built-up gas as I would be if I had filled up the carboy with the same volume)

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Not sure what smell you are experiencing, but this is my very first batch and I am doing 5 gallons in a 6 gallon bucket, and not noticing any weird smells... just pretty "normal" yeasty ones, like what I would smell while letting bread dough rise. I definitely get a hint of banana as well, but nothing super strong or overwhelming or unpleasant...

Could the smell just be that you have more gas built up and concentrated in the bucket than you would in carboy? (I'm assuming your bucket holds a greater volume than your carboy does. For example, I am doing 6 gal bucket but will rack to 5 gal carboy... in this scenario, when I remove the lid I am going to be facing something like 5x-10x as much built-up gas as I would be if I had filled up the carboy with the same volume)

That would be correct! Pure CO2 is pretty rough on the nose (technicaly poisionous but don't sweat it) thus the reason we were tought to "cup" a handfull of what we wanted to smell in chemistry class instead of stickin our face there, and yes I figured that out after sticking my face in my first bucket of mead too LOL

Kelvin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2012
Indiana
I thought that might be the case but eh a chemist I am not and a newb I am. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something bad.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Every now and then you hear of an industrial accident due to someone sticking their head into a commercial-scale fermenter. Turns out CO2 knocks you out. Your 5-gal size isn't enough to do it, but it sure will make you notice!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
That burns-the-nosehairs thing? Yeah, don't sniff so closely :) And especially don't pop off the airlock and push the top of the bucket down to cause a whoof of the headspace gas to blast you in the face...

I think the reason it hits you with a bucket way more than a carboy is simple exposure, you're only getting a 1.5" diameter exchange area with a carboy whereas you're getting a 12" diameter area with a bucket.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns