• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Worried about the future

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I'll start by saying, I'm not whining, yet really need to voice my concern.

I've been working with physical limitation since 1991, now it's reached the piont where I can't continue to do the type of work I've done since leaving school.

Being around the corner from 44, with a 9th grade education, a GED and 27 years experiance in heavy and rough construction, retraining doesn't offer much hope. Torn meniscus cartiilage / Anterior Cruciate Ligament, bilateral herniations between T4 & T5 and T5 & S1 with bilateral sciatica. On the best of days the I can brush my teeth and shave, before the pain becomes unbearable.

In the words of Frank Zappa (titties and beer)...

Well I'm big and bad and I aint no sissy, got a big titty girl by the name of...

Thank's,

Anthony

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Oh man, dude, that *sounds* painful...I can only imagine.

Good vibes your way. Maybe start looking at hobbies (cough) to make some spare cash? Something you love that doesnt require a tonne of lifting etc? Hehe, macrame? ;) (Now I'm just getting silly)

Seriously tho, be(e) well :)

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
LOL, Thansk Mynx,

if there was any money in crochet / macrame you could color me there.

Anthony

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Anthony,

Doesn't your union provide some kind of retraining for people who become more-or-less disabled on the job? Alternatively, you could probably study for your contracter's license and go into business for yourself, and have all the OTHER guys do the grunt work. All your years of building sets has certainly prepared you for building real buildings, I'd wager.

Just some thoughts.

-David

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Anthony,
I share your pain :'( Something to do with martial arts, a demo gone wrong and calcified bone chips in the lumbar area. I found out that accupuncture was a hell of a lot more efficient than chiropractic treatments.
I'm with David on the contractor's license.

Hope the pain doesn't keep you from brewing
Ted

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Anthony, just to let you know your pain hurts me too. I wish I had something more useful to tell you. Is getting a contractor's license viable? This setback might open a window to a field involving study.

Miriam

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Dmntd said:
got a big titty girl by the name of...

Then it's not all bad! ;) Keep your chin up and your head down... try not to over exert yourself, or you're liable to miss a lot more work. ::)

Wrathwilde
(Who believes Humour is the best medicine)

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
That's rough, hope things work out. My older brother just had a couple ruptured disks operated on. He was out of action for 4 months but is a whole lot better now with no pain at all. He even wished he had it done sooner now it is over. Luck with it, hope it won't come to surgery.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns