• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How do you figure out what you like in a beer?

The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
LOL

My mom keeps bugging me to get a passport... so theoretically we could do this LEGALLY some day. When we thumb-wrestle for first post ;D.

Well I do have to get my passport renewed as I have an upcoming trip to Europe that I will need it for. Really need to stop procrastinating.

fivecats

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2012
Outside Raleighwood
Going by fivecats suggestion, I tried a Scotch Ale, by Rogue. It was good! A bit pricey, so I don't know how often I'll be having it, but I liked it!
If you're making mead, making beer is a snap. There's more time spent at the start with boiling water, malt extracts and hops (about an hour's worth of a steady boil) but after that it's set an airlock on it and forget it until it's time to rack and/or bottle.

The Scotch Ales I've made were among some of the easiest homebrew batches I've done. (And the tastiest, too!)

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
If you're making mead, making beer is a snap. There's more time spent at the start with boiling water, malt extracts and hops (about an hour's worth of a steady boil) but after that it's set an airlock on it and forget it until it's time to rack and/or bottle.

The Scotch Ales I've made were among some of the easiest homebrew batches I've done. (And the tastiest, too!)
and lets not forget you'll be drinking them in 4 to 6 weeks compared to a year or more

ChadK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2012
Commerce City, CO
Neat. I have a question though, I've always taken "aroma" and "bouquet" to mean precisely the same thing, one was just "fancy talk". The linked-to page seems to say they're two different things though?

What's up?
If memory serves, and people can correct me if I'm wrong:

Aroma is the smell of the beer as you drink it, Bouquet is that whiff you get when you first open it and pour it out that dissipates quickly.

machalel

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2012
Australia
They mean exactly the same thing. People might use them to mean different things, but at the end of the day the literal meaning is the same.

That being said, if enough people use them in a particular way in regards to a specific topic, the meaning will eventually change to take on what people are using it as - that's the definition of a living language :)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Although the definitions in general use suggest that both words mean exactly the same thing, in the world of wine a distinction is generally made between the two terms.

With reference to wine, aroma is the smell that one gets from the constituents of the wine, meaning the fruit, the yeast, oak (if any) and the like. Wine aromas are generally regarded as the smell of a wine shortly after bottling.

Bouquet refers to the different smells (typically esters as they develop when the wine ages) that start to appear after extended bottle aging. Typically a "big red" wine that may hold in the bottle for a decade or longer develops a distinctive bouquet that is far more intense than just the smells from the freshly fermented fruit.

Although we don't generally make such distinctions in mead, the fact that fruity and floral components from the honey used in making a mead tend to be attenuated during the course of fermentation and generally don't come back (as in become prominent enough to notice in the nose) until the mead is aged for months to years, I suppose there is something analogous that one could consider a "mead bouquet."

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Mill St. Brewery's Belgian Wit, flavoured wheat beer. The ingredients list coriander and orange peel but I don't really detect it, although it's a really nice beer and I'd definitely buy it again, it's got just enough bitterness not to be boring but nothing that makes me want to put it down. I think the only beer that got into me faster was the coffee porter ice cream float.

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
...there is one pub in Ottawa that makes some of its own beers and their pumpkin ale was fantastic ...for some reason 5% alcohol hits me way harder than it should (I won't drive for at least two hours after one) and doing shots doesn't hit me anywhere near as hard as it ought to.
If you like pumpkin ale, Shipyard makes a fantastica Pumpkinhead Ale, as well as an Applehead Ale. Amazing drinks.

Also, i have a friend who is the same way; she get's smashed on beer, but drinks vodka like water. Crazy things...

Find that man a good Scotch Ale! ...
Seconded!...
Thirded!

...I don't know if it's the wheat beer I like or that they don't tend to put a lot of bitter hoppiness in wheat beers, but so far so good... we'll see what the raspberry wheat beer says to me when I get around to drinking it....
Mill St. Brewery's Belgian Wit, flavoured wheat beer. The ingredients list coriander and orange peel but I don't really detect it, although it's a really nice beer and I'd definitely buy it again, it's got just enough bitterness not to be boring but nothing that makes me want to put it down. I think the only beer that got into me faster was the coffee porter ice cream float.

Also try Allagash Wheat beers. My buddy loves wheat bears, and he loves his Allagash...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Okay, now that's just weird. I DID reply to this last night and now there's a spam where my post should be. Weird weird weird. I wonder if I just previewed it and didn't submit... Probably, knowing me.

I checked the LCBO webpage and the only scotch ale they had listed has been discontinued, as has the smashed pumpkin ale (which I will admit is probably seasonal and also hideously priced, they want eight bucks for a 625 ml bottle, that's what I'd pay to have a regular beer served to me at a high-end pub or a strip joint!:eek:). And they don't carry anything from Allagash.

The Beer Store wasn't any better. Never heard of Allagash, pumpkin, apple or scotch ale, they don't even have a listing for Scotland as a place of origin.

I checked with Pub Italia (which has LOTS of different beers) and the only ale they had listed that was from Scotland was Innis & Gunn, and I have a friend who drinks that and by his description, I don't think it's anything my hubby would be interested in since he's highly sensitive to bitterness and the stuff has a reported bite to it (granted, this may have been a different Innis & Gunn product, I don't recall now).

ChadK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2012
Commerce City, CO
I know it's a national brand import, but my favorite witbier is Hoegaarden.

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
...I checked the LCBO webpage and the only scotch ale they had listed has been discontinued, as has the smashed pumpkin ale (which I will admit is probably seasonal and also hideously priced, they want eight bucks for a 625 ml bottle, that's what I'd pay to have a regular beer served to me at a high-end pub or a strip joint!:eek:).....
The Smashed Pumpkin is a higher alcohol special one that shipyard does, as is the Smashed Blueberry. Pumpkinhead and Applehead are both seasonal. You'd have to look during the fall for pumpkin and spring for apple. But if you can't find it, I can get a case (in the fall) for pretty cheap and send you the pumpkinhead...

The_Bishop

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 24, 2012
Hackettstown, NJ
Also a thing of tipsiness. Drank it like a beer, in a nice big beer glass. Afterwards, I noted the 12.5% ABV on the bottle as I noticed that 'up' had become a vague direction and the seas had become a bit rough, even though I was on dry land.

Reactions: Penguinetti
The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers