• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My First Label - Ancient Orange

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Cheshire Cat,

One thing to be aware of is that yeast does produce sulfites during fermentation. Certain yeasts such as EC-1118 can produce as much as 50 ppm (which can trigger reactions in people that are sensitive to sulfites). Point is that I've taken to labeling all of my bottles "Contains naturally occuring sulfites" in order to let people with those sensitivies make their own decision as to whether they drink it or not.

Cheers,

Oskaar

CheshireCat

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
Really? My girlfriend is allergic to sulfates, which is why I started making mead in the first place. Is there anyway to know how much the yeast produces? Would it be considerably lower than, say, beer?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
It varies from yeast strain to yeast strain. If you go to the yeast reference chart link you'll see which ones are indicated as high H2S, and SO2 producers:

http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php

EC is listed low on the chart, but that is definately not the case since in their own writeup on EC they say it produces up to 30 ppm, and that's been updated in this year's fermentation handbook to 50 ppm by Scott Laboratories.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns